Rode S1

Andrew W.

Hello everyone,

I'm from Talkbass.com. I have come over here to get some better answers to my recording and recording equipment questions.

I am going to be starting a smaller-budget rap project, and I am looking for a vocal microphone to use. I have looked around, and I think the Rode S1 may be 'the' mic, but I wanted to get the opinions of some people who have had more experience with recording rap vocals (or any vocals) than I have.

http://www.rode.com.au/s1_desc.asp?menu=s1Menu

There are many reasons as to why I am attracted to this mic, but this is the main reason. While it is a condenser microphone, it has high feed-back and background-noise rejection. This would be great because I would get better results in my acoustically-poor home studio, and I would be able to have this mic on the stage. I would be able to keep the consistency up between stage and studio performances because I would have my rapper(s) using the same mic(s), and save some money in the process.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
-Andrew W.

(p.s. I used the search, but it blocked out S1)

First tip- a search must have at least 3 characters, so use "Rode S1" or "S1*".
I don't think you'll find a whole lot. I have a small amount of experience with S1, and it's a pretty ordinary handheld condenser mic. Alternatives include Shure Beta87a. Personally, I prefer AKG C535 EB, which rocks. Other alternatives I haven't heard are M-Audio Aries, which looks to me like a Beta 87a clone, and Sennheiser e865, which probably is a very good mic, knowing Sennheiser.-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
First tip- a search must have at least 3 characters, so use "Rode S1" or "S1*".
I don't think you'll find a whole lot. I have a small amount of experience with S1, and it's a pretty ordinary handheld condenser mic. Alternatives include Shure Beta87a. Personally, I prefer AKG C535 EB, which rocks. Other alternatives I haven't heard are M-Audio Aries, which looks to me like a Beta 87a clone, and Sennheiser e865, which probably is a very good mic, knowing Sennheiser.-Richie
What I meant was I searched 'Rode S1', and it blocked out 'S1' from the search because it was too short. I know how to use forums, I do not need tips. ;)

I have looked at the Sennheiser before (I would be reluctant to purchase becuase of past experiences with their products), and I have now looked into the other models you listed. These mics all seem to run on the same concept/design as the Rode S1, but is there any real difference between these mics other than preference?

I thinkin to purchase Rode S1 or Sennheiser e865. I did look on spec of this two mic's and look like Rode is better. I do have to make decision between this mic's. I do have other Rode microphones and I'm very pleased with them. But S1 I don't have. Sennheiser e865 will be first mic other then Rode and look/sound/ reviews are very good. I don't know what I'm going to do. I have to make decision :-)

Back