Rode NTx?

Griffinator

One of my local dealers is going to start carrying both AKG and Rode LD condensors, and possibly Studio Projects and Marshall Electronics as well. I'm geeked, because the sales manager and I have a longstanding relationship which has survived him moving from dealer to dealer in the local area, and so he'll let me audition mics gratis.

So as I whet my appetite for experimenting with mics, I thought I'd get a little feel for your opinions on the various Rode NT series mics (and the AKG condensors as well, for whoever has opinions) so I can focus my real-world testing a bit.

Also, I've been looking at ribbon mics (doing a lot of spoken word work with one person) and came across the CAD E-100 ribbon - any thoughts on this mic?

Hey Griffin, rough couple of days on GM's bbs eh? :D

I'm an AKG man. I have a bunch of their mics and I dig most of them, and can find uses for all (even the much maligned C1000s). This does not mean that I don't have other manufacturers mics. I have used Rode mics (various models) to great success. I really don't think you could go wrong with either manufacturer. Additionally, now that you have a new Mic Dealer (sounds kinda sordid doesn't it?) I think you'll find that there are about a dozen different mics for every application that work equally well, you probably already know that, but it bears repeating.

I tend to use AKG because I am intimately familiar with most of their models sonic characteristics, thus I have an easier time matching mic to sound source. Can you rent mics from somewhere? Testing mics at the store and testing mics in your studio is always different. If you can, test those suckers in your studio.

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.
-Noam Chomsky-

Tom Cram said:
Hey Griffin, rough couple of days on GM's bbs eh? :D

I'm an AKG man. I have a bunch of their mics and I dig most of them, and can find uses for all (even the much maligned C1000s). This does not mean that I don't have other manufacturers mics. I have used Rode mics (various models) to great success. I really don't think you could go wrong with either manufacturer. Additionally, now that you have a new Mic Dealer (sounds kinda sordid doesn't it?) I think you'll find that there are about a dozen different mics for every application that work equally well, you probably already know that, but it bears repeating.

I tend to use AKG because I am intimately familiar with most of their models sonic characteristics, thus I have an easier time matching mic to sound source. Can you rent mics from somewhere? Testing mics at the store and testing mics in your studio is always different. If you can, test those suckers in your studio.
-Noam Chomsky-

That's the beauty about this situation. I walked in there intending to flesh out what he'd want me to pay to rent the mics for my trials, and he told me he'd let me just borrow them :)

Oh - and George's forums? Shoot. I learned more in the last 18 hours than I have in several years of working in digital processing. Glad I took the beating I did. It was worth it :)

Heh! Right on! :D :D :D

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.
-Noam Chomsky-

Back