Rode NTV and New Mic Pre Question

Cuzin B

This question for anyone out there that is using or has used a Rode NTV in their travels:

My company provides digital media and voiceover services for the broadcast sector and I use a sweet sounding Rode NTV tube condenser for all my voiceover work. This mic has it's own power supply. This mic sounds excellent just going straight into my Omni Studio/Delta 66 combo.

Been thinking about adding a Mindprint EnVoice mic pre to warm things up even more and my question is: Does the Rode NTV power supply act as a preamp as well or is it just a power supply? Just trying to get some feeback on whether adding a mic pre would be beneficial in this setup or a waste of cash...

Your input is appreciated.

Cheers,

Cuzin B

Not a all! I do voice-over and narration work and have always used a pre before going into a soundcard. A pre can add to what your mic gives you, but channel strip (i.e. Mindprint) can do so much more for you. I use a Meek VC1Qs and get nothing but rave reviews from my clients. The Meek sound can be really impressive!

If I'm not mistaken, that power supply is only for the tube. You still need a pre, which you're now getting from the Omni Studio.
Adding a different pre, like a JoeMeek, will change the sound. It may be what you want, though. Check out some other stuff. Certainly can't hurt.

crinz83,

That's what I thought. However - I am wondering if adding another pre (in addition to the Onmi) is a bit much.

The Envoice has a digital I/O upgrade that would allow me to go directly from the Envoice right into my Delta 66 via SPDIF and effectively bypass the Omni Studio preamp.

If I just go with the Envoice in it's standard config, the mic will go: Envoice->Omni->Delta66->HardDisk.

So is that too much preamp action?

Cheers,

Cuzin B

Cuzin, doesn't that card have a line input too? But if you have a S/PDIF in/out it won't matter. I have the Envoice with the digital option and it's a killer mic pre. The power supply with your mic supplies power to the tube and heater in your mic and also charges the capsule. Any good preamp, solid state or tube will make it sound better. Just don't send phantom power to that mic as it's power supply already has that covered.

I think the Envoice might be going a little overboard.

The preamp that already comes with your omni is pretty good. The only benefit you would get from the Envoice would some added flexibility that would be great for a musician. I'm just not sure what the advantages would be for voiceover work. Your NTV is already warm enough, and doesn't need help in that dept.

Do you like to eq and/or compress your voiceovers . . . toy around with them a bit ? Is that capability important to you, or do you have software that already handles that? If you think the eq and compression would be of benefit, then I'd say the Mindprint might be a decent investment.

If not, then it would definitely be overkill.

Chessrock,

Point well taken regarding the Envoice. However, I am a musician too and I would do well to use this on guitars and other things I have laying around.

I agree with you on the Omni pres - they are excellent...however, I am looking to compress and EQ before I commit to hard disk. As you probably know - there is no software solution that allows effecting a incoming signal in realltime (well at least Nuendo and Vegas Audio can't).

I love the natural warmth of the NTV but I would just love a little more control of the signal on the way into the computer. Compression is key....in my current setup - I really have to watch those incoming levels to ride a fine line between clipping and not.

Cheers,

Cuzin B

Back