ROde NTK & Groove Tubes GT66

newmusicweb

Hello,
I own an older NTK and a new Groove Tubes GT66. I like each of these for certain applications but I am still in search of the perfect vocal midrange-priced mic. I have been reading about mods and such and in my non-technical pursuit of experimenting, I have this question:

Has anyone tried the NTK with the GT66 power supply? Are the nine pin assignments identical and the pin charge loads compatible? I am very curious at to what it would sound like, identical or not.

Thanks in advance. Oh, and please don't reply "dont try it, each PSu is tuned individually for its corresponding mic", because my intent is to specifically experiment but without causing any damage to the mic internals, of course.

Last edited:
Thanks in advance. Oh, and please don't reply "dont try it, each PS is tuned individually for its corresponding mic", because my intent is to specifically experiment but without causing any damange to the mic internals, of course.

Soooo... you don't want us to tell you if they are designed differently, and damage could ensue either? Sounds like you have your mind made up then :D I'd be concerned about blowing the damn things up (mic, supply, or both), but I don't specifically know.

Have you tried different valves in either mic? I would imagine you'd see a much greater difference in sound after a tube swap, especially if you are using the stock tubes (The NTK and K2 both use 6922's, and after swapping out the stock tube in my K2, the mic took on a new life). Granted, this is mroe expensive than trying different power supplies, but since the PS doesn't do anything but supply power, I would suspect you won't hear a major difference.

....Have you tried different valves in either mic? I would imagine you'd see a much greater difference in sound after a tube swap, especially if you are using the stock tubes (The NTK and K2 both use 6922's, and after swapping out the stock tube in my K2, the mic took on a new life). Granted, this is mroe expensive than trying different power supplies, but since the PS doesn't do anything but supply power, I would suspect you won't hear a major difference.

Yes, I have been reading this thread: homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=134225&highlight=NTK+upgrade

(sorry it wont let me post a proper URL yet)

Thx for the reply.

Well, that was an interesting read. I guess I won't be going out and blowing $99 on that tube! As far as the power supply, no, I won't tell you don't do it, just make sure you know what you're doing, which goes way beyond asking on this thread. I would never plug my NTK into another power supply because someone on a forum said it would be OK. If it's for the Russian 6N1P's heater current, first ask Rode if the NTK power supply can deliver the extra 300mA. If so, make sure that's the only diff before you plug one in.

Unless they have changed things, the GT tubes are not easily swappable. They are soldered in mil-spec low voltage subminiature tubes - unlike the Rode tubes which are more typical high voltage preamp tubes. The older MD1, MD2, MD3 GT mics had swappable preamp type tubes, a 12AT7 dual triode (and were generally better mics IMHO). I also doubt that you will get any significant difference in sound by swapping power supplies -- and I certainly wouldn't trust assurances from strangers on a public forum that doing so was safe - especially considering the difference in the type of tubes the GT and Rode mics use.

Back