Rode NT3

Han

A while back I tried a number of mics as a room mic, Neumann, SP B1, MXL V69/77, C451, Beyer ribbon and the NT3.

The NT3 was by far the brightest sounding of them all.

But yesterday I've recorded a great sounding soul band, the band was very happy with the sound, drums, guitar, bass, Hammond, Rhodes, alto and tenor sax, percussion and two female vocalists, recorded all at once.

The NT3 was used on percussion, two conga's, bonga's and the usual bells and whistles.

The mic really surprised me on this application, although the percussion was situated next to the drummer (hi hat side), there was very little bleed and the overall percussion sound is just great.

This is a very rejective condencer mic with a quite nice off axis response.

Thank you!
I'm recording percussionist Raymond Sweat (Keith's brother) in a concert situation next Sat. Drums, Hammond, 2 keyboards, Bass, Raymond, 15 bgvs,
and 2 lead vox.
I've been torn as to a miking strategy for him. I was thinking x-y or spaced pair sd condensors with an nt3 in the middle as a mic to play the hand held stuff into.
I only have 2 and using one on the main lead vocal is mandatory. My other usually automatically goes to a Leslie bottom.
Did you mic the entire perc with one nt3? Raymond is spread out over about 7 or 8 ft.

Like I said, he only used two conga's, two bongo's and some woodblocks and handheld things like shakers, so he was using no more than two feet wide of space. The mic was some 1.5 feet above it, so maybe you should use two mics.

The NT3 is kind of a better alternative for the C1000.

The percussionist was so happy with his sound that he asked me to write the brand an type of the mic on a piece of paper.

I have had one for a while ....

and the only reason I had to use it was the battery power option for getting half assed recordings (to a Marantz cassete recorder) of some shows or a jam.

But ,...... I did some recording for a friends band and it was an extra mic so we put on the Marshall cab for scratch guitar tracks.

Now I have never liked this mic on guitar amps but for this band and this guitar set up ...... an SG to a Mesa Triple Rec to a 4X12 cab ...... it gave the perfect brash snotty kinda tone that fit the mix well.

So we ended up using this mic for a lot of the distorted guitar parts.

I wouldn't have even considered reaching for it before but that'l learn me to be closed minded about mic selection for a given application.

I would like to try it on percussion too now that its mentioned.
.... not that I get the opportunity to mic much percussion but still.

-mike

Back