Rode NT2 Vs NT1000

Dr_Sbaitso

Hey there guys.

I've been looking at adding another LD condensor to my home studio, and was considering a RODE NT2 or NT 1000. I was in a studio the other day recording the soundtrack to a film, and they used a pair of NT2's on a glockenspeil and it sounded absolutely fantastic, however, it didn't give me a feel for the full range of the Mic. The NT1000 I've heard good things about too, but haven't had a listen to anything that has been done by one. I was wondering has anyone had any experience with these mics, and if so what they thought. Is there anything in the approximate price range, bearing in mind Im in australia so it would mean importing other brands Vs buying one of these over here at a good Price. the NT2 is $549 AUD and the NT1000 $499 AUD.

Thanks.

Both great mics. A little different sounding. NT2 has considerable high end gloss/sheen to it . . . NT1000 has a little of that, but a bit more high-mid boost to it. I tend to think of the NT2 as being a bit more ideal on female vocals, while the NT1000 might be the better pick for male vocals and guitar cabs.

I have both mics. The NT2 has more of a sheen and a narrower presence peak. It can be nasally (or complimentary) on voices with a peaky upper midrange. I think it sounds great on voices that dont have alot of upper mid as it kind of gives the vocal a sweet musical presence that it doesnt have in reality. Of the two, I generally prefer the NT1000 for women and upper mid heavy guys, it has a more open midrange, a wider presence peak and a bit less air. It gives them a bigger vocal sound where they would sound smaller and peaky with the NT2. The NT1000 is a more universal mic. Its kind of rode's answer to the 4033, though it sounds nothing like the 4033. Its classier than the 4033. Its more neumann sounding than AT sounding.
Theyre both good room mics and good on acoustics. Dif sounding in both those areas. Complementary colors.

Back