Rode NT2 vs AKG414

pashop

Although I have used both I have never had the chance to compare. Feature wise they seem pretty close. The Rode sales guy says they leave the 414 in the dust....but then he says that about every mic.
Any thoughts?

As far as the 414 goes, it really depends largely on the model and year it came out. AKG is one of those companies that has a notorious habbit of changing everything they make every year, and frankly I've given up interest/desire in keeping up with all the models of the 414, although there are some on this board who know all about their history.

For the most part, though, my own experience tells me the 414 is a much more neutral mic. Especially when compared to the NT2, which has some noticeable and intentional high-end boost going on.

The NT2 was the original inexpensive U87 alternative. Because it got such a head start on the competition, it managed to find it's way in to a lot of mid-sized studios. Because they never really billed it as "sounding as good as a U87," nor did it ever make any lofty claims, people began to appreciate them as having their own sound, although, cosmetically, it was obvious who they were fashioning themselves after.

Anyhow, the NT2 I like to think of as a shiny, colored mic with lots of sheen. The potential is there for sibilance issues, but obviously it's a great, colorful mic. Shiny and colorful without being harsh. Can't quite describe it, but it's obviously held it's own through the years without having to significantly drop it's price. It's a classic in it's own right, as far as I'm concerned.

The C414 is also a classic -- neutral, honest, prefered by many great engineers for drum overheads and spot vocal chores -- but I'm just not sure which one. :D

Has anyone heard any rumours about Rode bringing out an NT2000 model mic soon? Is it going to replace the NT2 and does it have more settings than the 414? I think I read something about it in a recent copy of EQ mag. Any info. would be appreciated.

Hey apparently they used a Rode Classic mic for the vocals in the Lord of the Rings movies.

I confess I've never used an NT-2, but the 414 is one of the most versatile instrument mics ever made. I don't use it for vocals as a rule, but it works very well on acoustic guitar, tom, as overheads, harp, piano, violin, cello, flute, and the list goes on. Does the NT2 have 2 stage pad and high pass filter? I don't happen to know. The 414 is one of my 3 or 4 most versatile mics. Oddly, I get rather good results with C2000B on vocals, but the 414 has generally not shone in that role. I think it is neutral, and the 2000B is a little more colored.-Richie

Last edited:
Back