rode nt1a & nt5 for acoustic guitar micing(advice needed)

reeler78

hi all,setting up my first home studio and need some advice on the best mics for recording acoustic guitar.im on a pretty low budget but have managed to save for a rode nt1a which i purchased after reading decent reviews on it.my question is.....would i get a decent sound from the nt1a and a single rode nt5 when recording stereo on acoustic guitar?.or would it be better to get a pair of nt5's and use my nt1a solely for vocals.or could you advise me on a better pair of condensor mics for acoustic guitar?.ive done a little research and alot of people seem to rate the octavia mc012 & mxl 603 highly,however cant seem to get these in the uk. ive also read the shure sm81 are really good,would it be worth the extra money?cheers would really appreciate your imput as its driving me mad! cheers.

The way I record Acoustic Guitar

Hello,

I use the NT5 on the sound hole. I aim it up from the high E string about where the fretboard meets the soundhole. From there you will get a very clean and articulate sound from pretty much any SDC. (I have a matched set of NT5's I LOVE THEM)

Now there are a few other ways you can go with the LDC. I have put them about 3 feet away directly in front of the guitar to capture some of the room ambiance, and total tone of the guitar. Then I would blend that with the mic on the soundhole. This captures a pretty nice sound of the guitar. You can also add a little reverb on the room mic of you want it to sound a little bigger, but use that very judiciously.

Another place I have placed the LDC is on the bridge. This is physically where all of the sound from the strings is transfered to the soundboard. So it you want even more articulation, you can put it there. It will also pickup a lot of the soundboard as well. I have also found that if I have a mic too close on the bridge, the bass seems to get boomy...Just an observation.

There are any number of variations you can do here as well. I will say this, the soundhole SDC, I have tried to not use that, and I always go back to it. It just seems to get that sound that I seem to like and others do as well. Everything else seems to add texture.

Again, these are techniques I have used. BTW, those mics you bought...Even though they may be considered "Budget Mics", they are some of the best mics in that class. You did not do bad at all picking them up.

Happy recording!

Steve

Back