rode nt1000 or audio technica at4050/ae5400

robertmetal

im looking at both of these mics to record/demo stuff at home on my digital workstation. i will only be using the mic for recording vocals nothing else at all.
in peoples opion which is best?

p.s. actually comparing the rode more to the handheld ae5400 but it has the same element as the studio at4050 (dont know if there is still a sound difference between the two though?)

cheers

I haven't used those AT mics but I used to have
the NT1000 and would not recommend it. I found
it a tad on the harsh side for voice and got
rid of it quick.

I have to laugh just a little bit when I see posters that have used Rode mics claiming them to be "harsh". I would certainly point more of a finger at the gear it's plugged into (mic pre etc.) than the mic itself. I have several (a NT1-A, NT2-A and K2). I started out with a NT1000 but quickly upgraded to a NT2-A for the patterns and rolloff switch capability. From the NT2-A on up in the line, I find them to be VERY transparent, noiseless and possess a great degree of mid detail without being harsh. At the high end they are known for (by pro engineers) as being very open with excellent air without being harsh. I especially love their utter complete lack of self noise. I had a AKG414B-ULS and Neumann TLM-103 and I must say, neither of those have anything on the NT2-A. As far as the K2........that is my "go to" for the really serious vocal tracking, but the 2A is NO slouch to be sure. Does a wonderful acoustic guitar as well (Martin dreadnaught)

I happen to have both the AT4050 and NT1000. The 4050 and its handheld conterparts are similar, but not the same mic at all. That said, the NT1000 is "dull" (not dark or harsh nor is dull a bad thing, just very neutral) as in not sizzly, nor hyped. Think SM7. The AT4050 is a very transparent and maybe just slightly bright to my ears. If I had to choose just one, I would personally go with the AT4050 with the multiple patterns and the fact I like that little bit of high end it has that the Rode doesn't. Not that the stage version is bad, but for studio work, I would really spend the extra few bucks for a real AT4050 as it is more flexible and is more linear in its response. The stage version has some definate high end dips and humps.

I have heard elsewhere that the NT2000 and the
NT2-A were smoothed out on the top as
compared to the NT1000.
A buddy of mine had the NT1-A and we both
agreed it sounded a little raspy on vocals
so my buddy got rid of it.

That would be because the NT2-A, and NT2000 both use (as does the K2) the new and proprietary HF-1 capsule made right there in the Australian facilities. I agree, it is very neutral, which isn't all a bad thing.....

ive tried both the nt1000 and the audio technica ae5400 and they both sound good but i found the rode to be maybe slightly smoother sounding but it also seemed a lttle too bright with not so much bottom end. the ae5400 sounded quite similar but had more of a darker sound and bottom end to it which i kinda prefered. is there maybe a little mic pre that i could get to warm up the rode?

i looked at some little tube pre's by makes such as art etc. but i friend of mine said to me not to bother as he said there is no point going from a cheap mic pre intosomething like a little digital workstation as your just going from something cheap into something else cheap thus reducing the quality???

mind you the digital workstation wasnt cheap but of course the buit in mic pre wont be that great so my mate ment that there is no piont going from the work station mic pre to a £100 tube mic pre as the quality would be not much different

Don't get too hung up on how a mic sounds soled. You want to pick a mic that will sound good on your source in a mix. What sounds good soloed does not alway translate well in a mix. For instance, a great big full guitar tone soled might muddy up a mix too much. So keep this sort of thing in mind when choosing a mic.

I love Rode mics and have a number of them but in this case I would suggest the 4050. It will just be more versatile. The NT1000 is either awesome or awful on voices (in my experience) where as the 4050 is a safer bet.

I know you said it would be for vocals, but the 4050 would also work much better on a variety of different instruments.

Having said that, try renting the mics so you can hear them before hand. There is no better way to know what will work better in your situation. If your voice is one that the NT1000 will sound awesome on, then you'll know. But like I said if you can't try them I would go 4050 much safer and more versatile.

Back