Rode NT1 vs AT4033

IMHO the 4033 sounds awsome..

[Edited by ShakesTheClown on 08-03-2000 at 07:23]

I bought an AT 4033 originally for vocals and it works very well on them. I also tried it on acoustic and I think it sounds *much* better than my C1000S. I bought that mic thinking that a small diaphragm condenser would/might work better on acoustic. It has been a *huge* step up from my SM57 and SM58, but after reading this form over the last few months it sounds like there are better small diaphragms for the money. What I do now is use both mics when I record acoustic or vocals. This usually gives me even better sounding tracks, especially on acoustic.

However, by itself I think the 4033 works very well on both vocals AND acoustic. I'm also trying to get my wife involved in recording because she plays piano, clarinet, and violin and has other friends who play orchestral instrumenets. I'd love hear how the 4033 works for that.

Keep in mind that the 4033 may cost $100 - $200 more than the Rode or other lower-priced condensers. I got mine for $299 because I also bought a bunch of other gear at the same time, but the store normally sold it for $349.

I have an SM. Not sure about the SC, so I checked their website (http://www.audio-technica.com). I didn't see anything about the 4033a/SC there either. Maybe that's an older model?

The SM stands for shock mount. The shockmount used to be a $40 dollar option and now it's standard....I know because I am buying one today. I plan on using it to record acoustic guitar and hand percussion.

I bought my 4033 used from a friend almost three years ago for 350. He paid 599 I have the bill. Audio Technica has come out with many new models lately. That is why they are going so cheap. I bought it for vocals but just for fun one day ,I put it up about 6 feet behind my huge double bass drum set in my studio with no EQ and did a drum solo. WOW I have never heard such a live and powerful drum sound before. It has changed my way of recording drums for certain songs. And yes it is awesome on vocals.

AT4033aSC or AT4033aSM

wide awake,

zZounds' catalog has an AT4033aSC for $349.00 (retail $685.00) and an AT4033aSM for $349.00 (retail $495.00). maybe it's a misprint. i saw this and that's why i post the question earlier.

just wondering.

-kPreston-

AT4033 for $289

Eighth Street Music sells the AT4033 and AT4041 at significant discount in what they call "bulk pac". Supposedly, it is for large quantity customers such as convention centers etc., who don't need commercial packaging. I ordered an AT4041, and when it arrived, it is identical in every way to the "regular" unit...same box, stand, etc.
Might save some $$$

Peace,
Rick

Back