rode nt1, my recordings sound cheap

The snag really is that you just sound way too close, like the first clip you posted. Proximity effect gives it that artificial sound. The anime clip sounds like somebody putting on a higher voice. It's not a natural sound, so it won't impress anyone wanting a more girlie voice. There's nothing wrong with your voice, but you're just too close, so the perspective is wrong. More distance in a nice room will be 'you'.

The snag really is that you just sound way too close, like the first clip you posted. Proximity effect gives it that artificial sound. The anime clip sounds like somebody putting on a higher voice. It's not a natural sound, so it won't impress anyone wanting a more girlie voice. There's nothing wrong with your voice, but you're just too close, so the perspective is wrong. More distance in a nice room will be 'you'.
If i keep more distance my voice starts to sound thin and room noise gets louder

I bet if you record three clips at different distances, we would prefer the distant. You might think it sounds thin, but this is what everyone hears your voice as. Nobody naturally listens to you close up. Bone conduction makes you hear your own voice like this, but nobody else does. Record somebody else if you want to experiment. As far as I know, nobody has produced anything that really compensates for this = that is why things like SM7B, Neumann 104, EV RE20's and others exist. these go close in and sound natural. Your mic doesn't. You cannot make your mic not have proximity effect, and that makes your voice sound artificial. It's also why many voice over artists have their own mic - it allows them to sound 'right'.

You are right that you can hear more room. If your room is poor sounding, then treat that.

Record yourself close, then 200mm, then 350mm. Normalise, but don't EQ. Post the results and let us comment.

"I have such a unique cute voice and Im already 36y old, I don't know how long it will last,"

Keep off the Capstan Full Strength and take plenty of water with it.

Dave.

Back