Rode NT1-A woes...

WFVoiceover

Hello folks

I've been using an NT1-A for about a year now to record audiobooks.
Great mic. No complaints.

Was in the middle of a recording session today and began to hear a click when I pressed the record button on Garageband. Once I'm rolling the sound is gone. It's only on the recording start and stop.
I did a full reset and it was still there.
Spent a few minutes sweating that it was my Duet 2 acting up so I swapped it out for an M-Box Mini and the pop/crack was still there. (Relief!)
Swapped out the Rode mic and the sound disappeared.

So....it's the mic. I hear it during recording and also on the playback. Annoying!

Any ideas on what's wrong with it?

Thank you :)

WF,
Is your booth or the weather more humid than usual? Do you store the mic in a bag with desiccant?
I have read other posts where humidity was affecting the capsule on the Rode. I have not experienced that with mine (yet). However, my MO is to store my NT1A with the desiccant pack, and always fire up the phantom power, for a while to let the components warm, before recording.
You said a different mic silenced the click. Did you try a different XLR cable on the Rode/Duet combo?
Dale

PS: this leads me to ask others: Has anyone ever tried using dried rice for a mic desiccant, like has been used to remove moisture from a flushed cellphone?
I have seriously considered using rice in a dust-proof, breathable bag. It's cheap and easily replenished.

Last edited:
I tried the rice deal once with an old Sony microphone ... Come to find out the problem wasn't with the diaphragm.

Thank you for the tips.
I will leave it for a few days in a dry chamber and see what happens. The weather is changing here of late so maybe it needs it.
Have checked the XLR and run the mic on another setup. The crack is still there on the start of recording.
Will let you know if anything changes.

I left the mic in a dry area for a week with the silica bags close to the diaphragm.
Mic is now fully operational again. No more clicks from it.

Thank you all for your advice.

Back