Rode NT-5's as overheads

jaybriggs84

Anyone else using these have trouble getting a big snare sound from the overheads? The cymbals sound good though them but the snare never seems to sound like it really does in the room. I've used them mostly in an XY in front of the kit and over the drummers head and sometimes in a spaced pair.

Crap. I just bought a pair of NT-5's.... Don't tell me the snare's gonna be a biatch! LOL I'll let you know tomorrow. I'm thinking of an ORTF setup in front of the kit, and an sm81 on the hats and the kick.

why not put a mic on snare and bass drum and set the o/h's more in front for toms and cymbals? Earhworks makes a 3 piece mic set that picks up good.

That's actually what I was going for... maybe a coincident pair of the nt-5's about 5 ft out and about 6 ft high.....to really capture mostly the cymbals... All of my drums are individually mic'd, so I'm all good there. Not sure how many mics the other guy's using though...I'm sure he'll chime in though.

i just did some tracking for a band last weekend. we had a 57 on the snare, an AT4050 in front of the whole kit, and a stereo pair of AKG 414's as room mics(and an e902 on the kick). The 4050 and the room mics got enough snare, I've just never got much snare from the NT5's, not just this time.

I can try to mix it all down to a stereo track, do one with all the mics up and one with the OH's soloed so you can hear, can someone give me a site where I can upload a file to download, not streaming stuff like soundclick or whatever.

Cheers man :) I can't listen to it now but I'll definitely check that out in the morning. Don't suppose you've ever used the Studio Projects C4 as overheads? I'm looking at either them or the Rodes.

jaybriggs84, sorry to derail your thread. You can have it back now.

Back