Rode NT-1

josesequeira

Hi there, is Rode NT-1 a good mic to record mainly acustic guitar and vocals? In the price range are there better options?
Tanks in advance!!!;)

Good is such a subjective thing.... it depends on how good you want good to be. Will you notice the difference between a Rode NT1 and a Neumann U87? Yes. Will you notice a difference between an NT1 and a Shure SM58? Yes. The short of it is that the NT1 will sound noticeably better on many vocals and guitars in many situations than dynamic mics, and even better than many entry-level LD condensors. However, people who have become accustomed to the sound of their expensive mics will describe the NT1 as sounding a bit harsh, especially in the top end.

I personally use one, and it is the best mic I have. I've been entirely happy with it. I like the detail and what I perceive as accurate reproduction of the sources that I use it to record with. I've never used a U87, though.

Depending on your budget and your expectations, I would highly recommend one.

Chris

It largely depends on what year the model is. The ones produced in the first few years of their existance sound pretty good, for the most part. The latter models I've heard (from the last year or so) sound like utter garbage.

You see, Rode pulled a swith-a-roo on the capsule in recent years, hoping we, the buying public, wouldn't notice. :D

So in answer to your question, yes, there are plenty of better options available for the price. Namely the Marshall mxl 2003 and V67 and the Studio Projects B1.

This one here is about the best deal I've seen on a LDC mic. I'd grab it up if I were in the market:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...0255994585/search/g=home/detail/base_id/45955

The early NT1's had problems with impedance issues.
I had a later one and they can sound harsh (like an AKG C3000).
They sound fine on people with "mellow" voices, if you put one on
a "screamer" it'd be like an icepick in your brain!
For around $200, the Studio Projects C1 is a better sounding
microphone for "most" vocalists although YMMV.
And for under $100, the Studio Projects B1 delivers good sound
according to its end users.

As for the NT1 being "better" than a dynamic microphone on vocals, it mainly depends on the quality of the mic pre used.
A SM57 through a pro level pre will have superior sound than a
NT1 on vocals, generally speaking. On Mackie pre's or below
the NT1 would probably win out due to a dynamic microphone's
sensitivity to impedance load issues.

So...
What kind of mic pre are you using or planning to buy?
What's your budget if you're buying?
That will influence what's best for you.

Chris

I have an NT1 and a V67 (and want a C1).These are all decent low-priced big condensors.The NT1 is "toppy" and the V67 is "warm",so they are complementary depending on which freq range you want to bring out.

I have had an NT1 for a few years and it is great on acoustic guitar and male vocals. For female vocals (or violin as I tried this weekend) it is too harsh. (Though not as bad as a C1000! IMHO)
The NT1000 or NTK are far smoother if you want edgy female vocals recorded.
Good Luck.

the nt1 seems to be complimentary to certain male vocals. i couldn't see using it on any female vocals. the c1 seems to be about the same on male and female vocals.

steve
www.piemusic.com

I used a NT-1 on my first two cds and I ended up replacing my NT-1 with a Audio Technica 4033 for the next ones. I couldn't believe the difference the 4033 made. I used them for hiphop vocals and when I made the switch it cut the retakes in half. I'm still going to keep my NT-1 because it was a really good mic. I did my entire first and second cds on it and the only thing wrong with those projects was me and my lack of recording experience:D. My point is that the NT-1 is a decent mic but there are better choices for about 50 to 100 bucks more. Don't cut your self by buying something cheap and easy now because you might have to spend all over again upgrading.

Make sure you use a good preamp whatever you decide. MO.

Chris Tondreu, You said the NT1 sounds harsh in the high end. I have a AKG C3000 which has this issue, My question is; Is the NT1 similiar to the AKG C3000? I just want to know so I don't buy two similiar mics.

Chris Tondreau said:
However, people who have become accustomed to the sound of their expensive mics will describe the NT1 as sounding a bit harsh, especially in the top end.Chris

I wish I could help you on that comparison with the AKGC3000. I'm not used to using expensive mics, so the NT1 does NOT sound harsh to MY ears. It may also have to do with the actual source being recorded. A lot of the opinions around here, which do vary, claim harshness in the top end.... some don't.

Chris

In answer to the NT1 compared to the C3000 -

In answer to the NT1 compared to the C3000 -

No - they sound completely different.
The C3000 has a thinner sound with a Wispy top end where-as the NT1 doesn't have this style of top end.
The NT1 produces a warmer rounded sound - which is great for guitar or male vocals, but as stated earlier can sound harsh with female vocal or things like violins.
(Basically - complex sustained high end notes are not its forte but for most other things it's great)

Thanks a lot for replying. Seems there´s some good comments about the marshall mxl v67 but to be honest i haven´t found them in Portugal yet. At the end of this month there will be an Music/instrument show in Lisbon and i´ll take the opportunity to check them out!!!

rodent reaction

Responds better to a deeper voice. A higher vocal pitch sounds sweet if it's soft and full. But if you're going to hit it hard with a strident, piercing tone, you'd best have some armor -- EQ, compression. Bare knuckled, it doesn't seem to like a good scream.
For the harsh stuff, my noble counterpart is the dynamic SM58. For airy detail, deeper vocal resonance and guitar strings, the rodent earns its keep. I'm about to add a Presonus Eureka mic pre to to the equation. Into a Korg 3200D recorder. Anyone here with similar experience?

peritus said:
Please see the date of this thread... Thanks :)

LMAO!!!! It never gets only when someone pulls up one of these old ass threads and replies to it like it was yesterday. It is even better when the originator of the thread has not even done anything here for 3 years! :D

good times!

nedped said:
Responds better to a deeper voice. A higher vocal pitch sounds sweet if it's soft and full. But if you're going to hit it hard with a strident, piercing tone, you'd best have some armor -- EQ, compression. Bare knuckled, it doesn't seem to like a good scream.
For the harsh stuff, my noble counterpart is the dynamic SM58. For airy detail, deeper vocal resonance and guitar strings, the rodent earns its keep. I'm about to add a Presonus Eureka mic pre to to the equation. Into a Korg 3200D recorder. Anyone here with similar experience?

Youza! :D :D :D

I had a singer I was recording whose voice sounded really harsh with my NT-1 (which is my main "go-to" vocal mic). I tried a few other mics. I even tried a kick drum mic. Harsh, harsh, and harsh some more.

That was the first session I have *ever* used an SM58 on vocals, as I find they usually sound like wet blankets, but in that situation, it was *perfect.*

Chris

Back