Rode mic = utility mic?

hongteck

I have 2 microphones which I use for my recording. One is a Rode NT condensor and the other Shure SM57. I like the clarity and quality of the condensor mic better but I finds it too sensitive to background noise so I don't find it practical to use it where I'm recording at the moment. Everytime I use the SM57 to record I feel like compromising and hoe that I can use the condensor instead.

My question is ...can i in anyway make Rode mic more practical ie. make it less sensitive using some work around techniques?

Get rid of the source of noise from your recording room. You can also maybe make some gobos or buy some acoustic panels to place around the mic which may help to some degree.

What kind of background noise do you have? A computer? Cars driving by? ...?

Condensor mics are just more sensitive...unless you have a more quiet spot to use the mic, Id just stick to the 57. You can get some really good recordings from your 57 so I wouldnt sweat it too much...you might find yourself boosting the highs a bit to get it a little more airy but use what works. if your condensor doesnt work in your situation...dont use it...

Yeah my Rode NT2-As are like amazingly awesome. I don't use them too often, only for drum overheads and vocals. Everything else I use dynamic mics for.

Back