Rode K2 and NTK + AudioBox Audio Interface Preamps

kalimero97

Hey guys!
I'm planning of getting a new mic: surfing the web I found many good reviews of Rode K2 and NTK microphones. I have an AudioBox audio interface by PreSonus. Would you recommend using one of the mics with the built-in preamps of AudioBox?
Since the mics are not that affordable I found some used products on the web and I just don't have a enough money to buy also an external preamp. However I could use the mic I buy for a while with AudioBox and then - when I have the money - buy a new preamp. Would that be worth it? Do those mics inevitably need a good external preamp for good quality sound? Would buying a lower-range microphone (Rode NT2-a or NT1-a) and using it with AudioBox give a better sound quality?

Thank you very much in advance and sorry for the noob questions! :facepalm:

Hey man, welcome to the boards. I've not used the audiobox but i've got the firestudio mobile and am more than happy with the built in preamps. I think the ones in the audiobox are different but i don't know by how much but i doubt there would be a huge difference. Seeing as both the NTK and K2 are valve and have their own external PSU you wouldn't have any issues with things like phantom power so it should be fine.

An external, higher quality preamp in the long run would be worth while but, until you get the money, you should get good results from either mic.

And, although it's all subjective and there's no such thing as "better" per se, using the NTK or K2 over something like the NT1a or NT2a should offer better results even with the built in pre's on the audiobox

Hey Kalimero,
PreSonus makes some great products but of course the preamps in a $150.00 audio interface aren't going to be the best in the world. They should suffice while you're waiting for more funds to expand your setup. Honestly I think preamps are more important than the mic in a lot of cases, so I'd personally get a better preamp when you have the $, but I've been pretty satisfied with my Audiobox 1818vsl's preamps (admittedly I use the PreSonus Studio Channel preamp more than the preamps built into the 1818vsl).

Heres a couple reviews from 2infamouz.com for the Rode Mics, as well as the PreSonus Studio Channel preamp:
Rode Microphone Reviews | PreSonus Studio Channel Review

If you're wondering if you can get by using just the Audiobox's preamps with a lower range mic, then the answer would depend on what kind of quality you're aiming for. Of course we all are trying to get the best sound possible, so as you become more experienced with recording the money spent on expanding your setup becomes more justified because you're able to fully utilize the potential of your gear. Honestly I'd grab the cheaper mic and rock with the audiobox for now, and just practice recording techniques and mixing until you feel you're ready to invest in something more.

By the way, don't let the price of the Rode NT1A fool you - it's actually very popular and capable of producing good results. Like with anything you can't expect the greatest outcome with a small amount of investment, but I guarantee you that someone that knows what they're doing can get a better sound with a Rode NT1-A than an inexperienced engineer can even using a Nuemann u87. What I'm trying to get at is that gear is always limited to the extent of who's operating it - more money doesn't always = better recording quality.

Hope that helps,
2infamouz

Keeping this short:

I have been using a Rode NT2a going into the Presonus 1818vsl interface, and I have no real compaints. I would like to add a preamp at some point, but I don't feel this as a necessary thing to do, just somehting I want to do.

At the end of the day, equipment is only a small part of the equation. Techniques such as mic placement, or how you sing into your mic, are just as important, if not more so, than the equipment used. Just my dos centavos.

I hope this helps in some way. :thumbs up:

I used an NTK to record all the vocals on the songs on my CD's. I used Alesis preamps so nothing fancy. You can hear samples in my link if you like. My friend and the bass player uses an NT2A and I actually like it as much as the NTK.

OK guys I think I have some more money (around 250$) to spend on a new audio interface and preamp.
I decided to buy a Rode K2, so what interface and (external) preamp do you suggest me to buy?

Thanks.

I use a Lexicon U42S and my friend uses Roland UA101 and Quad Capture. All 3 are recommended USB interfaces.

Back