Rockwool

I'm not to sure about this ... In Denmark we use something called rockwool to isolate houses ( dunno if it's the right word - to keep the warm air in - cold air out - you know ) some use it in their speakers .. DON'T !!! go for the real thing and contact your dealer as I don't know the english word of that either :)
big help huh *LOL* ...sorry 'bout that

Rockwool is basically a form of house insulation, same as in Denmark :) Its an okay product for sound deadening, but you need a lot of it and have to compress it into the wall space to really get some effect out of it. Remember that denser materials generally absorb sound better, up to a threshold. For example, concrete which is extremely dense, doesn't absorb sound very well. Too dense.

One of the best insulators for sound is air. You can build a false wall in front of the existing wall, fill it with foam, rockwool, or soundblock from auralex (and now home depot - its the same stuff actually and a LOT less expensive) and do it that way.

bizarre said:
I'm not to sure about this ... In Denmark we use something called rockwool to isolate houses ( dunno if it's the right word - to keep the warm air in - cold air out - you know ) some use it in their speakers .. DON'T !!! go for the real thing and contact your dealer as I don't know the english word of that either :)
big help huh *LOL* ...sorry 'bout that

No Rockwool is a name like fibreglass is a name. Rockwool is made by spun rock fibres whereas fibreglass is spun glass fibres.

Rockwool is a very cheap alternative to fibreglass and it comes in differring 'R' ratings dependent on it's insulation properties. The higher the rating the more dense and higher the insulation properties. It comes in differring thicknesses like 2", 3" and 4". It is excellent when used in between wall insulation and comes in cut sizes to fit snuggly between studs. It can be used in internal wall treatment provided it is covered with some kind of protection barrier like plastic otherwise you will end up with a fine dust throughout your studio and in your gear.

You can check out more here

http://www.rockwool.com/products_companies/default.htm

cheers
John

To add a bit:

Rockwool is made from "spinning" stone at EXTREMELY high temperatures. This basically turns the rockwool in a kind of fine wire, the same was glasswool turns glass into wire.
The main difference is that the melting point for glass is well below that of stone.

Rockwool has a much higher density than glasswool. Filling a cavity with rockwool will therefore generally produce a better result. Its also safer (marginally) to work with.

Info on what is generally regarded as the best brand is available here, as are distributors http://www.thermafiber.com/

Last edited:
Back