Rocktron GEAR (?)

Kevzmusic

Hi fellow GEETAR players..,

What do you folks think of Rocktron gear?

I'd never used any of it before myself, but recently I took the plunge and bought their new rack "Replitone Modelling Preamp" which is based on the same technology are the Replitone combo amps.

Anyway, I couldn't demo the unit before hand, simply coz they didn't (and still don't) sell them here in CANADA yet, but I read a lot of positive reviews and it seemed like a very versatile unit...so I went ahead and bought one,....and for that matter, so did my brother who lives in Florida., around the same time..

Anyhow, to cut a long story short...this Repltione MP sounds like crap!!!!!

All the high gain amp sims are fuzzy edged and sound very bee like, not a nice warm tube-like tone that Rocktron claim.
Plus none of the amp sims sound really like the amps they are supposed to be modelling...

Has anyone used the Repltione Combo amps, what do thay sound like????

Up until now, I have always used the Line6 gear, ie: POD and Flextone II amps...and whilst not perfect of course, they do a pretty darn good job.

The POD is great for my 'direct recording' needs into a PC sound card, etc...

The new Replitone Modelling Preamp is 'supposed' to work in exaclty the same manner as the POD does......but the
"tones" are almost completey useless.

I contacted Rocktron, and they are working on sending us (both our units are the same crappy sound) a new "voicings" EPROM chip, but said that their regular Replitone amps sound simply great...

I wanna know what YOU guys think???

10 - 4, over....

Cheers

KEV

I don't like solid state High Gain. My 1680 has a nice modeling voice for it, but I still prefer tube. Clean tones and slight breakup are very good in it. Can't speak for rocktron, but most of there stuff just comes across as "cheap" to me. I would have just cut my losses and hocked it rather than letting them sent you a new ROM. They said their normal one is "great", that is standard corperate BS. I hope you didn't pay too much.

Fortunately,

I only paid $343 USD from JacksMusicStore online, but with the shipping and Canadian import duties, fees, etc it added another $150 to the price - so approx $500 USD total...

Not tons of $$$, but then again...I wasn't looking to throw the money away either :)

To be honest, both my bro and I are really surprised it sounds so BAD, coz I thought Rocktron was supposed to be pro level gear.

One lives and learns I guess...

KEV

The COSM in my 1680 is probably one the the best I had a chance to hear so far. Its made by Roland. I would assume that those sounds should sound the same in their multi-effect pedals. The pedals run about $700 - 1000 US, check one out if can. I believe they have direct outs for recording. The Vintage Tweed setting is to die for on mine. And the Soldano model, MMmmm. I still say tube, but a little reverb and some delay....maybe some more reverb on top of that, not to shabby....and then there is the Matchless.

Back