rocknroll/rockabilly sound

ace516

hiiii. im just looking for some suggestions here..
i'm running the izotope vinyl plugin in the master channel to get a kind of 'lo-fi' sound..
i'm trying to mimic maybe some stray cats .. possibly some foxboro hot tubs sound..
any help? thaaanx :D

here's the track with the plugin bypassed

Only going by memory here, but the Stray Cats I remember has a lot of slap back echo on the drums, and not too much bass on the kick. But applied to the separate tracks, not the 2mix.

The full finger sound on the upright bass helps a lot for rockabilly feel, plenty of slap there too, (the slap of the hand on the strings, not the slap echo of an empty VFW hall like on the snare :p.)

Keep the git relatively clean distortion-wise, though vintage effects are fine, depending upon your own tastes. Let the amp sound like an amp, not a special effects box...think of how Les Paul himself would sound.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm not sure if Brian Setzer did this, but with a lot of rockabilly, don't be afraid to overdrive the mic pre on the main vocal a bit for a bit of that grit sound. A lot depends upon your mic and pre, but if you had something along the lines of a Shure 55D through a real tube pre like a GT Brick, try pushing them hard to get some of the saturation in there. (Or try the saturation dial on the Blowfish compressor plug-in.)

G.

Last edited:
Back