Rock Wool Vapor Barrier

darwin

Could somebody please provide a link to a specific product on an American manufacturer's web site of rock wool insulation that has a vapor barrier on it?

Hmm, I guess nobody who has used rock wool with a vapor barrier in the states has seen this question yet. I just want to make sure that a vapor barrier gets installed on the insulation that is facing the warm side of my basement studio. I know that I could use polyethylene film, but I would be screwing the drywall into the steel studs thereby placing a hole in the film. In my opinion, this would be defeating the purpose of having a vapor barrier in the first place.

My dad the construction contractor was just downstairs and i talked to him about this. He told me not to worry with the poly losing it's seal by screwing the drywall onto it because the drywall will push onto the steel studs and create it's own seal. So if all you are worried about is your outside walls use the poly for your vapour bariour and screw the board on.

I love having a contractor dad, I can't wait until I can build my studio!!

Thanks for the reply. I think that I tend to agree with him on this. The vapor barrier for fiberglass doesn't really go over the studs when it is installed. So, if the vapor barrier that comes attached to spun fiberglass is good enough in this situation, I don't see why a vapor barrier that I put a screw through is going to hurt things. Especially, since the drywall will be in direct contact with the stud.

Tell your dad thanks, and yes, you better be nice to him when you decide to build your own studio.

Back