Rock song for evaluation

ejmaroney

Greetings all!

I’m a long time lurker on this site, where I feel I’ve learned a lot. Thanks! Now I’m prepared to see if I’ve really learned all that much. ☺

Attached is a recording of a song I wrote and produced with the help of a local musician here in Split, Croatia. He plays bass, Spanish and lead guitars, and provided some mixing input.

I want to know how it sounds to those with “real ears.” This was recorded and mixed in a treated room (homemade bass traps, wall and ceiling panels, using rock wool, with wood boards over the ceramic tile floor), tracked through an Apogee Duet, then mixed/mastered on a Fireface, monitored through Adam A7s. With this equipment, if something’s wrong I figure it’s me. I can provide more equipment info if anyone asks.

My main concern is not the merit of the lyrics (it is a Christian song), the melody or genre (it’s a rock song), or even the singing/playing (my ego is not wrapped up in my voice), though I’m happy to receive any feedback regarding these. Feel free to comment on any aspect of the song/performance/recording.

However, my main concern is that I’ve invested time, energy, and finances in building a studio in my basement and I want to see what I’ve achieved sound wise from neutral sources. I have a day job that I’m comfortable with; I’m not looking for a career change. I just want to do the best job possible with recording my songs. To do that I need the help of others; maybe you?

So, can you help me out? What do you hear wrong? What do you hear right? On the vox? Acoustic guitars? Electrics? The mix? The mastering?

There are three primary sections in the song: a soft acoustic section, a soft electric section, and a hard electric section. Therefore, I think this song should give a broad enough spectrum to reveal areas for improvement any type of music in the future.

I tend to be long winded, as this post shows. The song is no different, clocking in at 5:53. The link below is to a host site that another forum I interact with primarily uses for these kinds of critiques.

SoundClick artist: ejmaroney - These are recordings made in my basement studio in Solin, Croatia, where I have lived for nearly 14

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Eric

Ok, clearly it's a faux pas to paste a link. :facepalm:

Here's an MP3....

Eric

Attachments

• ayg712.mp3
    6.7 MB · Views: 3
I thought it sounded OK. I liked the lead guitar tone. Both on the electric and acoustic.

Lots of words get lost in the mix. They tend to be words at the end of phrases. Watch that as you're singing. I'm hearing lots of crackling on the vocal track. Lots of artifacts from opening and closing your mouth. A prime example is about 1:46 on the line "while there's still time". The vocal performance sounds like you were just trying to get through the take. You weren't trying to deliver a top-notch performance - just trying to not make a mistake. You need to let loose a little more. Just a little. Might be a pitch problem or two as well.

The bass has a frequency or two that are really boomy and a bit out of control. It sounds to me like it's between 80hz and 160hz.

TripleM,

Thanks for giving it a listen.

This is all very helpful. You nailed it on the vox. This was actually a just a take on the opening part, and a take the rest through.

I'll check the bass as well. I think it may have been the comp/limiter on the master track.

Appreciate the feedback.

Back