Rock/Pop Song Natural Reverb

guitarboi89

Alot of articles in recording magazines say that you should have an idea of depth, panning and volume before you even start to records. To me this seems reasonable, my question is how visable is it to record a pop/rock song without using any artifical reverb. This would be done with placement, mic and room choice (which u should know anyway).
Has anyone else tried this? (if so posting a clip would be perfect) :)

guitarboi89 said:
Alot of articles in recording magazines say that you should have an idea of depth, panning and volume before you even start to records. To me this seems reasonable, my question is how visable is it to record a pop/rock song without using any artifical reverb. This would be done with placement, mic and room choice (which u should know anyway).
Has anyone else tried this? (if so posting a clip would be perfect) :)

Think about it this way, Pop/Rock recordings were around well before digital reverb. If you have room with some nice natural verb, or can create that, go for it. Granted, our ears have now become use to hearing digital reverb, and that's good to use too, but not the only option.

If it sounds good, do it.

great replys, i see your point RAK but theres a big difference between older pop records and todays releases. As you said try it, and thats what im going to do. Ill post results here when im done :D
Ryan i actually had to google that to see what the hell u were talking about :rolleyes: but ive checked out a few tracks off the album sounds good :)

Reactions: RAK
guitarboi89 said:
just found this article, its quite relevant :)
http://emusician.com/special_report/mackie4/

I laughed when I read the line about mic'ing a mirror. Back when I was in my mid-teens and "didn't know any better" we put a bass amp about 3 feet in front of a wall mirror, then mic'd the amp and the mirror. Holy crap, what a great sound. We had no preconceived ideas about the "hows" of recording, we were just 5 kids messing around with our first 8-track and some mics and doing all sorts of crazy things. There was no Internet back then to go get 8695 different opinions on how to do the same thing :D We just experimented and had fun.

Back