Rock On cover

Bulls Hit

Been mulling over trying a cover version of the David Essex classic Rock On and Lazerbeakshiek's thread got me motivated.
The track is so weirdly cool. For a start how can you have a song called Rock On with no drums or guitars?
Anyway I tried to stay close to the original ethos, within the confines of my own limitations. Apart from the ending that I tacked on.

As usual trying to get the vocal sitting where it belongs is a struggle, not sure if I've got the delay-reverb settings quite right. Any suggestions for improvement, I'm all ears :D

Well, You didn't screw it up...

I love that song 8-)
Damned with faint praise.
But I'll take it! :D
It's like the Hippocratic oath: Firstly do no harm.
I've had 2nd thought about the drums, they were a bit too bombastic so they've been stripped back. Balance is better now methinks

You have a totally identifiable bass sound , I love that, fits great on this song, no nits ,your version is a harder edged version of the original, which is a killer tune in itself...love the guitars added..yeah!

I've always loved this tune. It seems to be a forgotten tune for some reason.

Great take. Love your "Industrial" sounding drums. Reverb is just right, sounds great in general.

Not loving the under-water vox effect.
Bass is weird too. Sound wise.
Everything seems to me warped but the drums, so to me it's not as tight as I want it.
So fix that shit.

I liked it so much, I bought the single.
This was a good take on it. The effects were a bit much though.
Not loving the under-water vox effect.
Bass is weird too. Sound wise.
Everything seems to me warped but the drums, so to me it's not as tight as I want it.
So fix that shit.
Thanks for the feedback guys, good stuff.

I admit I got pretty slap happy with the delays etc. but the original is pretty well drowned as well.
You think it's just the choice of delay/reverb I'm using?
Normally I mix everything dry as a bone so I don't know what the hell I'm doing with reverb & delay effects.
It's like Turkish Delight, you have a little bit and it tastes fantastic then you have a lot more and throw up :D

I thought it sounded great.

Guitars sounded great. Vocal sounded real good.

Bass might be just slightly muddy, but just slightly.

Lot's of delays on lots of stuff. In spots they can get in the way of each other. Maybe dial back the delay level on the instruments when the vocal is present.

I thought it sounded great.

Guitars sounded great. Vocal sounded real good.

Bass might be just slightly muddy, but just slightly.

Lot's of delays on lots of stuff. In spots they can get in the way of each other. Maybe dial back the delay level on the instruments when the vocal is present.

Cheers Trip. Yeah after @Manslick gave me grief about the underwater vocal I removed a delay and a reverb instance, seems to sit better now. I've put an effect envelope on the drums too, give the vocal some room

This is cool. A bit drenched for me but still very enjoyable, good vibe, nice and sleazy as other mentioned.
Great job man !

Back