rock mineral wool

chippyd

looking for some Uk prices for rock mineral wool, has anyone any info on this.

I have been looking at wickes home improvement centre but they do not seem to give the density. Their prices do seem very good with 6 slabs 1140 x455x50 @£6.99.

how much density do I really need for sud wall insulation?

Is there a point where it will not make any noticeable difference by going more dense?

thanks
Daz

I've learned that the stuff they sell at home depot and the likes is NOT what you want. The best stuff is only sold to contracters so contact one and try to get some from them.

Herwig

chippyd said:
how much density do I really need for sud wall insulation?

Is there a point where it will not make any noticeable difference by going more dense?

thanks
Daz

The density you want depends entirely on the method of construction of your wall. If its just a single cavity behind a layer of drywall, fill the space. Its not expensive, so pack it in there, the more the better, and don't leave any gaps anywhere.

If you contact a company called Roxul @ 1-800-265-6878, they can give you the actual acoustical Performance absorption co-efficients at the frequencies-125, 250, 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000 Hz. I am looking right now at their spec list that they faxed to me and have just recently installed it in the ceiling of my new control room along with 1/2" drywall suspended and isolated from the ceiling joists with 1/2" blue dense foam board strips between, furring strips screwed on edge with screws countersunk and installed perpendicular to the ceiling joists every 16"...3" "Roxul" rock wool (also known as rotten cotton) then another layer of drywall. Definately deadens the sound between the two rooms. The rotten cotton comes in 1", 1.5",2",3" and 4" with different accoustic ratings per frequency per thickness. Definately worth checking out!

PAULIII

Back