Rock Drum Loops

jtlaurie

Does anyone know what Sonic Foundry CDs I can buy or download that have your basic rock drum sounds. It seems pretty hard to find a regular drum beat because Acid Pro is geared more towards the techno and hip-hop crowd.

Josh

I second the Mick Fleetwood disc(s) - awesome drum sounds/patterns/fills.

Also, check out Drum Tools and Drum Components for basic rock drum sounds/patterns/fills.

Pro Samples also has a line of good sample discs - many of them acidized - and they have rock drum discs too.

ACID ROCK HAS THEM

ACID ROCK (ACID MUSIC) has you rock drum sounds, but also base, guitar, lead, etc, etc. But you have to buy the whole program that only records up to eight tracks. This the the ACID ROCK of yesteryear (it came before ACID PRO 2.0), if you could still find them.

Im not sure about the ACID program cause I dont use it, but, some great {real} drum loops can be had at:
Discrete Drums
Drumkit from Hell
Perrrfect Drums
NYC Drumworks

Drumsugar is my favorite Acid Drum loop CD. It's a little funky but it fits into a lot of different styles. Drum Tool is very clean, very basic, and sounds great (Loops and Fills). And Mick Fleetwood is... well I didn't know that he played that well. I don't think you'll be sorry with any of these, but you need to build up a collection so you'll have choices.

Good board - yeah, actually the Fleetwood disc isn't bad. A little overly-processed, but, if that is your bag, will work pretty good for most pop rock stuff.

I have to add, though, that for sheer bang for the buck, Beta Monkey Music has everyone beat. I got their two Alt CD's for under $30 and I haven't exhausted them yet. Just so many cool drum loops and fills, I always find what I need (which sometimes for a tune is maybe 10-15 loops). Plus, they lay off the EFX which I like. Not everyone song should have this monster reverbed snare! It's nice to be able to control that on your end.

Some of the Sony ones that I have used:

Drum Tools (lots of 4/4 beats)
Acid Rock
Discrete Drums I and II

I've also heard that Mic Fleetwood's CD is great..

I have both "Mick Fleetwood Total Drumming" and "Drum Tools" mentioned above and they are very useful. Definitely good discs to have.

I've also got some of the Beta Monkey discs that someone else mentioned. They're pretty good, though some of the loops could've been edited better. Good variety of real drum kits.

I recently bought "Bun E. in a Box" and have mixed feelings about it. The sounds are great (recorded by Steve Albini), but some of the loops are not Acidized correctly. Some will be double the tempo they are supposed to be. There's even one loop that contains no audio at all! Despite the glitches, I've gotten a lot of use out of it, especially the one-hits. Oh, and it's a bit pricey and is a non-returnable item.

Last edited:
Back