Chaka Khan
Chic
J. Geils Band
Joan Baez
Joe Tex
Kraftwerk
MC5
Steppenwolf

I can't believe that Steppenwolf, J.Geils Band, The Zombies and Joe Tex aren't already inducted.
These were ground breakers in their styles.

Well yeah...some of those names are so far from any kind of Rock & Roll...it's pretty funny, but I guess they decided to expand the meaning, otherwise you would have 20 other music "Hall of Fame" organizations...one for every style of music.

Chaka Khan...I think she had like one hit song...and I can't even remember what it was. :D

A sad list.
I can see the sense in...
Jane's Addiction (not the reformed version though)
The Zombies (THAT album & THOSE singles)
Yes (as much as they bore me)
Kraftwerk (except for their being sampled on hip hop)
MC5 (why not before now?)
Steppenwolf (two songs worth anyway)
as each, in their own way, influenced pop rock music or produced important albums but the rest - sheesh.
As Mr Smith says - giving Mr Lynn licence to make more of his imponderably ponderous product is a pact with the gods of somnambulism.

Now that no one listens to, cares about, or makes rock n roll, they can just go around inducting all the strays that aren't already inducted. In a few years, everyone will be in. :)

Man, if they're going to start scraping the bottom of the barrel, why isn't my name on that list?

To me, bands that broke new ground in music or had a huge impact on music should go into the hall of fame. It shouldn't be about sales, but you know that's always the number one driver.

Pearl Jam - I used to enjoy them, they brought a new sound in their day. They deserve to be inducted.
Electric Light Orchestra - As much as you guys hate them, they were innovative. Violins and cellos in a rock band. They at least deserve a vote.
Journey - While not ground breaking, they did have a big impact. and that little fucker could sing. They should at least get a vote.
the Cars - They were a new sound and changed the direction of music.
The Zombies - These guys have some timeless songs.

The rest?? No way. Go build a Disco or Kum-ba-ya Hall of Fame....

Pearl Jam - I used to enjoy them, they brought a new sound in their day. They deserve to be inducted.
Electric Light Orchestra - As much as you guys hate them, they were innovative. Violins and cellos in a rock band. They at least deserve a vote.
Journey - While not ground breaking, they did have a big impact. and that little fucker could sing. They should at least get a vote.
the Cars - They were a new sound and changed the direction of music.
The Zombies - These guys have some timeless songs.

The rest?? No way. Go build a Disco or Kum-ba-ya Hall of Fame....

Just shows how subjective music is. I would have placed Journey and ELO at the bottom with the rappers.

Well yeah...some of those names are so far from any kind of Rock & Roll...it's pretty funny, but I guess they decided to expand the meaning, otherwise you would have 20 other music "Hall of Fame" organizations...one for every style of music.

Chaka Khan...I think she had like one hit song...and I can't even remember what it was. :D

I thought the same thing about Chakra Kahn, but after working a show I realized she had an entire set full of R&B standards. I feel for you was just the one 80'sound hit. She has been around since the early 70s.

I thought the same thing about Chakra Kahn, but after working a show I realized she had an entire set full of R&B standards. I feel for you was just the one 80'sound hit. She has been around since the early 70s.

Yeah...I know Chaka Kahn has been around...but to me, Half of Fame is (or should be) more about what someone does that breaks new ground and/or sets a path that influences many that follow...and not just about being around for a very long time.

I mean...if it's just about longevity and/or the passage of time...then everyone who ever got radio play will eventually be in the R&R HF at some point. :D

Just shows how subjective music is. I would have placed Journey and ELO at the bottom with the rappers.

It's not like I actually like or listen to them, but I think they made a big enough contribution to rock music to be recognized. I did see ELO in concert when I was 14 or 15. It was the first concert I saw that had a laser light show. It was pretty cool.

I'm just curious why you think Journey makes the cut, but not J.Geils Band or Steppenwolf?

Is it more about radio hits...?

I know J. Geils Band was never about hits...though ironically, the couple of MTV driven ones that they had were IMO not the best music they ever did. They were more of a performance Blues/Rock band...and all very solid musicians....I mean, they certainly fit the "Rock & Roll" mold 10 times better than Journey...IMO.

Steppenwolf...while only putting out a couple of real big songs...certainly set a Rock & Roll theme in music that many others followed.

Well, my list isn't perfect. I forgot about Born to be Wild which is an anthem song of sorts. Maybe the one song should go in the HoF. J. Geils didn't really do anything new or original, they were just another rock band.

I'll concede, my opinion of Journey might be influenced by sales. But I think they put out a lot of good music, had a long tenure and inspired a lot of people to get into music. And that little fucker could sing. :D

Yeah...I know Chaka Kahn has been around...but to me, Half of Fame is (or should be) more about what someone does that breaks new ground and/or sets a path that influences many that follow...and not just about being around for a very long time.

I mean...if it's just about longevity and/or the passage of time...then everyone who ever got radio play will eventually be in the R&R HF at some point. :D

The hall of fame is and has always been about what the goofballs that run the thing think is cool. That's why Lou Reed was inducted long before deep purple, kiss, etc... it has never been about influence, rock and roll, or even sales and popularity. It has always bean about what a bunch of out-of-touch music critics thought was nifty.

Back