Road King or Triaxis/Simul 2 90

jay clarke

Hello everyone

I am going to buy a new guitar amp and am wondering wether I should buy a Mesa RoadKing Rectifier , or go for the Mesa Triaxis with Phat Mod and the Simul class 2:90 guitar power amp.

Both are full tube, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with either. I have heard them both and experimented in shop and both sound awesome. The triaxis seems like the encyclopedia of tone, with such versatility, but then the road king also can do a hell of alot. Both will cost roughly the same price too.

Any opinions, suggestions?

I have a Triaxis with Phat mod and a Simul Class 2:90 - it's a great combo that can give you just about any Mesa tone. My advice is, if you like the Mesa tone and can't decide on which model to get, just get a Triaxis - you get a whole bunch of amps all in one rack space. You can download libraries of presets online if you want - pretty handy as some of them are 100% spot on for Petrucci and Hettfield settings. My only beef with the unit is that it is seriously noisey. If you get one, you will absolutely have to get a Hush or Decimator to reduce the electrical storm at high gain/high volume settings. Also, if you want to DI the unit, you will have to go through a poweramp then a speaker sim or DI box, the direct out on the Triaxis sucks and blows all at once. The 2:90 is a must with the Triaxis, I used to use a Samson Servo 170 poweramp before I got the 2:90. the difference when I changed over to the tube driven 2:90 was a massive improvement.
If I was to do it all over again however, I would just buy a Rocktron Prophesy II - I got one recently and it has taken over and surpassed all of my other gear, Mesa and Marshall included - extremely versatile, great tones for all styles, easy to use and ansoutely silent at high gain settings. Just my 2c's...

Last edited:
Back