RoAC - Heavy scream stuff. (me track / mix / master)

tarnationsauce2

Welcome to the jungle.
Rep for all who give constructive input!! :)

Hi guys, here's a diddy some of you may enjoy. It's still not final, so any input will be appreciated.
Yes, I know it's mastered REALLY hot. :mad: It's supposed to be. :D It was stem mastered BTW.

I got to try out my new ribbon on the guitars, and I used it as a drum room mic too. Ribbons RULE!

I'm really interested in what ya'll thing of the guitar tone. The guitar on the right is a Gibson SG > RAT2 > Mesa double recifier (matching cab). Guitar on the left is a Gibson LesPaul > JCM900 (1960a cab).

Also let me know of the vocal sound, and drum sound. Especially the snare. it's my baby. :o

lol, enough jabbering....

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=6500

the vocal sound is cool, real good for this genre....drums sound very nice too. but the guitars sound "phasey" to me, like something might be out of phase. but this is a pretty good mix overall.

zed32 said:
the vocal sound is cool, real good for this genre....drums sound very nice too. but the guitars sound "phasey" to me, like something might be out of phase. but this is a pretty good mix overall.
Good stuff.
Do you mean the overall guitar sound?

The guitars are hard panned, and for the most part they're playing different stuff. So I don't see how there could be phase issues. I also used 1 mic to record the guitars.

However there are the little dissonant guitar riffs. Those have a stereo chorus effect. Maybe that's what you hear? if so they are supposed to sound like that "very stereo".

I will investigate and see if I can't find something that makes them sound that way.

yeah i hear the hard panning, i don't know if it's phase or not, but it just has that "phasey" sound to me, like kinda hollow. i think it might be that stereo chorus effect or something, but when i move to the side or farther back from my monitors it sounds normal. just when i'm sitting in the mix position, it has a phasey scooped sound to it. have you checked what it sounds like in mono? but that's the only thing that struck me as kinda wierd. the tone of the guitars themselves is cool, and the mix is sweet. :cool:

THanks for the compliments.
Does anybody have input on the drum sound?

I used LDC tube overheads and the ribbonroom mic.
I had never used those as overheads, or used a ribbopn as a room mic before. The ribbon picked up a lot more low-end than I thought it would. I could have used it for the kick track it had so much bass. I decided to phase-align the ribbon track to the kick drum due to that fact.

tarnationsauce2 said:
Rep for all who give constructive input!! :)

This is gonna be sweeeeeeeeet. I will have to bump you up by 100 first. :D :D

The drum sound is pretty good to me. I wish the snare really cut through a bit more, I could use it really punching through.

Mix seems good, bass is good. I am not a screaming fan, but different strokes...

Good job, I like the instrumental stuff. Lay that whopping rep on me. :D

Back