Rnp+rnc=?

deadleafecho

Im looking to buy an RNC next, and a RNP after that , and im wondering if im off base in thinking something. I know the RNC basically has a left and right in/out , but their both controled by the same controls. Now, imagine i have 2 mics on my amp, maybe a 57 on the cone and a LDC a few feet away. If i run each mic into the 2 channels of the RNP, is it reasonable to use these as left and right going into the RNC? I mean, same rig, same parts, if i match the level of each mic the same settings on the RNC should work with both mics right? Obviously im trying to avoid buying 2 RNCs for this....Anyone tried this?

D

You don't necessarily have to use a compressor when you mic a cabinet. It may actually make the background hiss from the amp worse. Try it out without and check out the results. I rarely use a compressor for guitar cabs.

Brandon

Thanks for the replies! I guess it would help if i explained the rest of my setup, Im going into an audiophile 2496. Its a great card but very unforgiving in terms of clipping. I was looking to use a compressor between the pre and soundcard IN to even out the level a bit,hopefully giving me a bit more headroom. Am i way off base here?

You don't need to compress going in when recording at 24bit. Your mics and room will be much noisier than the Signal to Noise Ratio of that card.

I don't think he was asking if he should compress a guitar amp. I think he was asking if he could use the RNC as a dual mono compressor with his dual mono preamp. Right?

Well good point, My original question didnt actually get answered, although IF i decide to go compressor less there might be other applications where i could use the RNC in a dual mono mode. So im still wondering if it can work like that.....maybe for overheads or something? obviously the same settings wouldnt work for a snare vs. kick or something......

deadleafecho

i plan on doing the exact thing you mentioned. using an RNC via the inserts of the RNP.

i normally don't compress during tracking because i record in 24bit; however, i've had 2 instances this month where it crossed 0 db while tracking vocals.

i just got the RNP. i'll take it through its paces for a week, and if i like it enough to keep it, I'll pick up the RNC in 2 weeks.

I have two RNCs. While it is a stereo compressor, the two sides are always linked and it only has one set of controlls. It would pass both channels from the preamp discretly but you wouldn't be able to adjust the compressor parameters independently of each other.

Back