RNC Noise

gelon

Not sure if this has been addressed anywhere else on the BB (I searched...), but I'd be interested to know if anyone has experienced noise in the RNC as it releases.

Mine gets a low-level "crackling" sound during release, either fast or slow. On busy program material, it's not a problem, but for long notes, you hear it very clearly as the comp lets go. It's not loud, but bad enough to preclude recording exposed stuff. I've experimented with lots of settings, and get the noise using the comp direct and inserted. Any idea what could be up? Could it be a bad unit? Everything else works as it should...I know these are great comps and was really disappointed when I first started working with it. Thanks,

Gelon

I've got two of them and have never had that kind (or any kind for that matter) of problem.

I don't know much about what type of electronics they use in your units, but it sounds like the same kind of noise you can get in a VCA console faders are moved fast. This is normally calls for trimming the offset voltage to the VCA... not too complicated....

rgds

If the RNC has a sidechain ip.... run a 1k through the RNC at low level..... feed a hi level signal into the sidechain (kick drum or somthing) to get it to work and see if you hear a distortion on the 1 k tone when level changes....

rgds

Back