RME QuadMic

Mach5

anyone have any experience with these? $500 for 4 channels of pre... not too shabby. Is it as quality as all the other RME products?

i recorded overdubs for a jazz album in germany a few months ago using only the pres in the fireface (the same as the quadmic, right?). i was very happy with the sound i got. i didnt have anything to compare it to at the time (nor did i have monitors for tracking! -- only headphones, but luckily everything came out great). i would say it's got a very clean (if not a bit sterile) sound. not mushy or chunky or warm by any stretch of the imagination. this was good for what i was doing -- i only wanted to capture the performance, not impart a sound i couldn't remove later. i can always add distortion or "warmth" with "character" compressors or tube emulations, if that's what it calls for (which it doesn't). i would say the pre's sound about the same as the presonus digimax. sorta a clean basic sound. not a cream-your-pants sound, but it does the job and does it well. i wouldn't hesistate to use these pre's for just about any tracking situtation. hope this helps.

I have a Multiface and I think it sucks that the gain increases very gradually when you turn the knob to the right but when you're at around 90%, the gain increases dramatically. It's virtually impossible to accurately set high gain levels. Or is it just my Multiface having that issue?

Back