RME/Nuendo/ ADI Setup, looking to upgrade computer and possibly converters

umair

Hello all,
I have been out of music and recording for a few years but at the time I had a really great (in my opinion) setup but things have changed and looks like everyone is going 96Khz. My set up is as follows:

Home Built computer (don't remember processor but it was very good 5 yrs ago). I think some sort of dual core. 3 GB ram. Lots of disk space. Windows XP Pro.

The NUENDO / RME hammerfall card with a daughter card. I am not sure of the exact model but its the nuendo branded RME stuff with three Toslink connectors for input and 3 for out and a breakout cable for SPDIF, etc. I ran 16 channels at less than 2ms latency. The computer was built by me just to do audio recording.

The RME (nuendo branded) ADI-8 Pros. I have two of those for 16 total channels.
Nuendo 2.0. I does have something called doubling or something that operates them at 96Khz but I'm not sure how to use that or if my computer can even handle it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it still sounds great but I was going to upgrade my computer to an I7 processor to do some blu-ray stuff and video editing but most likely that means vista 64 bit since you cannot get more than 3 gigs of ram with the 32 bit version. My cousin has had many issues with upgrading his stuff to his I7 with driver problems. I am assuming the 32 bit drivers are not working and some of his stuff does not have updates.

I may just upgrade to a quad core but I don't upgrade often and I like to get good stuff when I do.

A couple of questions, I cannot find any information on 64 bit OS's and how they affect my particular setup. I also don't know if I have to purchase a new version of Nuendo (do they even make it anymore... I don't like change!). I am assuming plugins are going to be incompatible with 96Khz anyway but do they have to also be 64 bit?

Is there any somewhat affordable Apogee or similar setup that competes with what I have?
I am looking to replace my 16 channel system with an equivalent or better system for the 64 bit world. I'm assuming I can still get decent cash for my system... at least thats what it looks like.

With the way things are these days I feel like I need someone to come over my house and look at my stuff and tell me what to do. Very confusing. I have a mackie 32X8 mixer that used to be considered awesome but looks like there are equivalent mixers for 1/4 of the price now.

Any ideas? Went to the music stores in the area and they pretend like they know my setup but it doesn't sound like they have ever heard of RME. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Correction:
I don't think I can do the 96Khz on my current unit unless there is something I am missing. It is the Nuendo 8 I/O. I don't see that it says 96Khz on it anywhere. Someone had told me that there was a way to do it but I don't know if I can on my specific unit. Is there a firmware update or something?

OK so I just purchased a pretty decent computer system:

I7-920 Processor
12 GB RAM
512 ATI 4350 Video card
1 TB Hard Drive
640GB HD
Windows 64 Bit Premium
6x Blu Ray Burner
16x DVD Burner

So at least I am starting the upgrade. Anyone out there with some input regarding what directions to go into with the new converters or software. How is Ableton compared to Nuendo? It's much cheaper and I am hearing good things about it. I don't mind spending the money for good stuff, I just don't know whats worth it and whats not. I am a firm believer in law of diminishing returns. I am not that picky but I do want the best bang for my buck. Like the above computer system was purchased for $866 from Dell outlet (minus the 1TB hard drive which I picked up from a seperate deal for 70 bucks OEM packaging).

Anyone have any decent comparisons with what I have and the Ensemble, or 16 channel apogees? Looks like some of those are Mac only though.

I went to the local stores again and honestly they don't seem to be able to provide any information that can help me. They keep trying to sell me m-audio, motu and stuff like that. Perhaps that stuff has gotten a lot better but its hard to take them seriously when they don't know sampling rates and have to read the number of inputs off the box, etc.

Anyone out there able to point me in the right direction?

Back