RM 408 - do you mount your TSR-8 to a rack system?

pentatonik

hi there folks,

If I may throw a couple of questions to the community...
Do any of you have ever mounted their TSR-8 (or another reel to reel recorder with the same size) to a rack system?

I don't own a studio, I work in the flat where I live with my wife n baby.
Which means: I have no dedicated room for my lil' analog recording system.
I have to room it every time I'm done with my recording / mixing, and pack it out of the closet every time I want to do something with it.
Furthermore, I'd like to be able to move around with my system (I mean: go to a studio for recording, go to a friends place, go to a garage, to a gig, whatever).

So here's my point:

1./ Is it such a bad idea to use a TSR-8 as a "mobile studio" (with a mixer of course)? I know it is not meant for travelling, but let's say I will be carefull...

2./ What are the mounting solutions?
I noticed the RM 408 ears ("rack kit for TSR8") at reelprosound.
I can't imagine how to mount such a reel recorder on a rack... Won't the reels "oversize" the rack??

Anyway...
My dream is a flight-case with wheels, the TSR mounted in it, both front and back openable (for wire access), which I could choose to stand or lie down (TSR vertical or horizontal).
In that case (huhuhu) this flight case could be not very deep.
Another case for the mixer, wires and tapes in the backpack, and let's hit the road.

What do you think of that?
(please don't answer "you should buy a portastudio", thanks :p ...)

I have the RM-408 mounts on my TSR-8 and it’s in a roll-around rack. The TSR-8 is just over 55 lbs (25 kg) and fairly delicate, so I don’t think of it as well suited for gigging. However, for rolling into a closet the rack mounts and rolling rack would be very handy.

The problem with moving it around a lot in a flight case is that it will need more frequent calibration due to shock and vibration.

:)

in a roll-around rack [...] for rolling into a closet the rack mounts and rolling rack would be very handy.

Thanks Beck! :)
Let's say thats what I need: a roll-around rack, wherever I have to roll (in and out of a closet, or across the street, with great care to avoid shocks).

however I still can't figure out how the unit fits in a rack, considering that the tape rolls "oversize" the unit itself... (Dunno if I'm understandable enough, excuse my french again)

may I ask a few questions again:
is it possible for you to post a couple of pics of your TSR mounted?
Is your rack an open one, or a case which you can close?
Why should it be better to use these RM-408 ears instead of a DIY mounting system?

Thanks Beck! :)
Let's say thats what I need: a roll-around rack, wherever I have to roll (in and out of a closet, or across the street, with great care to avoid shocks).

however I still can't figure out how the unit fits in a rack, considering that the tape rolls "oversize" the unit itself... (Dunno if I'm understandable enough, excuse my french again)

may I ask a few questions again:
is it possible for you to post a couple of pics of your TSR mounted?
Is your rack an open one, or a case which you can close?
Why should it be better to use these RM-408 ears instead of a DIY mounting system?

The reels will sit forward (outside) of the rack. The face of the deck will pretty much be flush with the rack, if not protruding forward a tiny bit. The reels won't make contact if that's what you are worried about.;)

The reels will sit forward (outside) of the rack. The face of the deck will pretty much be flush with the rack, if not protruding forward a tiny bit. The reels won't make contact if that's what you are worried about.;)
ok. you confirm what I was guessing.
knowing that ("protruding forward a tiny bit"), my next step is:
how to mount the unit in a closing case? how to deal with this tiny bit?

well I think I'll consider and experiment that question by myself now.
let u know if I get to build or buy the thing.

thanks guys! :)

As you can see, these aren't the official TASCAM rack-ears
:eek: :eek: :eek:

;)

nice setup Jean-Pierre! thanks for these pics. I like the koala.
looks like a flip-system from vertical to horizontal and back... usefull enough.

err, but how did you mount these "two pieces of bent metal" with the TSR? did you take advantage of the existing screws, something like that?

nice setup Jean-Pierre! thanks for these pics. I like the koala.
looks like a flip-system from vertical to horizontal and back... usefull enough.

err, but how did you mount these "two pieces of bent metal" with the TSR? did you take advantage of the existing screws, something like that?
I took one of the plastic ears off the side of the machine and used it to mark where the three holes should be on the rack strips. Like the Soundcraft ears I used before (I have two TSR-8s) they don't line up with the three holes in the machine, so I had to drill new ones (in the strip, not the deck, obviously!).
Then, when I'd cleaned up the holes so they were flat and free of debris, I put the plastic ears back on the machine and used the original three screws to fix the rack strips on. This does mean that the screws aren't going in quite as deeply as they did before, but there are six of them and my other machine has been happy like that for about 2 years now.

Back