RIP Mr Padre

JCH

El Nacho
He was pure class on and off the field. I met him a few times. Once was at an autograph/meet-n-greet event. When we reached our turn at the front of the line, my five year old son exclaimed "You're #19" Gwynn flashed the smile he was famous for, and asked "Do you go to games?" He held up the line for quite a while to talk baseball with my son. Priceless. Thanks Tony for everything.
Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn dies at 54 after cancer battle | padres.com: News

Probably the best hitter I've seen in my lifetime. RIP
Unfortunately, he played during the steroid era (as if that era's over, but anyway.....), so he got over-shadowed by the other monkeys, but he really was the best hitter of his time. Hitting 394 in 1994, before the strike ended the season. He might have made 400. In 20 years, he only struck out just over 300 times. Some guys strike out 200 times a year. :eek:

Last edited:
Unfortunately, he played during the steroid era (as if that era's over, but anyway.....), so he got over-shadowed by the other monkeys, but he really was the best hitter of his time. Hitting 394 in 1994, before the strike ended the season. He might have made 400. In 20 years, he only struck out just over 300 times. Some guys strike out 200 times a year. :eek:

Yes exactly.

I'd heard that today is the anniversary of his 3000th hit? And the day he died? Strangely poetic. 3000 hits is very rare air for a baseball player.

I always got him mixed up with Kirby Puckett for some reason. Even when I heard he died yesterday, the first thing I thought was "Minnesota Twins".

Tony Gwynn was one of the players I tried to emulate when I was growing up and playing ball. I was always a leadoff hitter and so my favorite players were all the guys with the highest batting averages. I would collect baseball cards and I could tell you what each guy was hitting. Gwynn, Mattingly, Boggs - they were my favorites.

Just hitting .300 in one season is exceptional. He averaged well over that for a career in the modern era. Astounding.

The amazing thing is that he wasn't unanimously voted into the HOF, anyone who voted against him should have their vote taken away.

The amazing thing is that he wasn't unanimously voted into the HOF, anyone who voted against him should have their vote taken away.

No one goes in unanimously. Not even Nolan Ryan or Cal Ripken went in unanimous. There's always some stodgy old fuck that keeps it from being unanimous.

Ive never seen any diving in baseball...

Hehe...That made me laugh (Lol for realz....:D )

Funny thing is, often you'll see outfielders dive for the ball when they didn't have to. Those are total "divers". A lot of these guys make what's called "TV dives".

I have sat through maybe half a dozen games or more, fair enough it was the padres, but damn they were not the most boring live sports events Ive ever been too. But they do serve stella, hodads burgers, and its sunny here...so it was never that bad a day :)

I have sat through maybe half a dozen games or more, fair enough it was the padres, but damn they were not the most boring live sports events Ive ever been too. But they do serve stella, hodads burgers, and its sunny here...so it was never that bad a day :)
I'm not much of a baseball fan, it's something I would listen to on the radio while I'm doing something, but other than that I just watch the highlights.

Back