Ring mount VS shock mount?

warlock110

what's the difference? i see some uses shock mount and some uses ring mount, and i have no clue what's the difference between them.

The shock mount decouples the mic from the environmental vibrations from the floor through the mic stand. The ring mount doesn't. If your stand is on a concrete floor, you probably don't need a shock mount, unless there are industrial goings-on or heavy traffic nearby.

The shock mount decouples the mic from the environmental vibrations from the floor through the mic stand. The ring mount doesn't. If your stand is on a concrete floor, you probably don't need a shock mount, unless there are industrial goings-on or heavy traffic nearby.

i'm on a carpet floor, does that mean i'll need a shock mount?

Shockmounts are always a good idea. Whether it's necessary or not varies in degree from one mic to the next based on how well the diaphram is internally decoupled (mechanically) from the mic body, and as Crazydoc said, on the floor type. Other factors, like proximity to roads, traintracks, etc., may have an affect on this, as does anything in the building, like a washer or dryer, heating or air conditioning unit, etc. Then there's the singers and musicians who like to move, tap their feet, etc., which can end up traveling up the stand.
Some shockmounts are on the spendy side, but there are usually alternatives available that are quite reasonable, around $20. The cheap ones work just fine, and are a good investment in not losing the perfect take to mechanically coupled noise.

is there cement underneath the carpet? if so, probably not. if it's something else that will transmit vibrations, then yes.

are all shockmount the same ( as if one can be use for multiple mic). i have one for my MXL 990, but i'm not sure if it'll fit the other mic that i'll be buying, it'll suck if it slip n fall haha.

hello everyone
and sorry to hijack this thread but its just a quick question and i didnt find it answered when i searched it

i see that some put their mics in the shockmounts in an upside down position

is there actually a difference?

it justs scares the hell out of me

are all shockmount the same ( as if one can be use for multiple mic). i have one for my MXL 990, but i'm not sure if it'll fit the other mic that i'll be buying, it'll suck if it slip n fall haha.
No - you need different mounts for different mic sizes (diameter of the body, mainly.) The 990 has a fat one, so there aren't many mics the mount will fit. Many large diaphragm condensers have smaller bodies, and would fit too loosely or fall out of that mount. Small diaphragm condensers are even smaller (many less than an inch in diameter) and need even smaller mounts.

If the mic diameter is within 1/4" or so of the mic that goes with a particular shock mount, it's a pretty safe bet it will fit the mount. However, different styles of mounts may have looser or tighter tolerances.

hello everyone
and sorry to hijack this thread but its just a quick question and i didnt find it answered when i searched it

i see that some put their mics in the shockmounts in an upside down position

is there actually a difference?

it justs scares the hell out of me
Not really - just make sure it isn't a loose fit, and make sure the cable is wrapped around part of the stand that will break the fall. :)

Some people feel the upside down mic is easier for the vocalist to approach, and in a tube mic it doesn't heat the capsule, but it's just a matter of which way you think looks coolest. :D

Not really - just make sure it isn't a loose fit, and make sure the cable is wrapped around part of the stand that will break the fall. :)

Some people feel the upside down mic is easier for the vocalist to approach, and in a tube mic it doesn't heat the capsule, but it's just a matter of which way you think looks coolest. :D

upside down look the coolest lol.

i went to the website
the XML 990 is 60mm wide
the mic i'm gonna buy is 50mm
let's hope 10mm isn't gonna be a huge difference.

upside down look the coolest lol.

i went to the website
the XML 990 is 60mm wide
the mic i'm gonna buy is 50mm
let's hope 10mm isn't gonna be a huge difference.
It is. The other mic will be too small - that's almost a 1/2" difference. You can measure the inside diameter of your 990 shockmount without a mic in it, and I think you'll find it's more than 2". Even if it's just 2", that won't give it enough tension to hold the mic.

What is the other mic you will be buying, out of curiosity?

As far as shockmounts go, they do help, depending on the situation. I live in an apartment on the second story of an old wooden house - the refridgerators running on every floor cause the entire house to have a very faint low-frequency rumble, that you would only notice buy plugging in a mic, slapping on headphones and crankin the gain considerably. Because I record acoustic guitar, you can hear this rumble unless I used a shockmount.

With the shockmount it is still there a bit, but it isn't as pronounced. As for upside-down / right-side-up facing, I usually hang my Large diaphragm condenser upside down simply because it is valve-based, and as someone mentioned, I don't feel comfortable using it for long periods of time in the upright position due to capsule heating. Not sure if that's really something to worry about, but I'm not taking my chances :)

What is the other mic you will be buying, out of curiosity?

As far as shockmounts go, they do help, depending on the situation. I live in an apartment on the second story of an old wooden house - the refridgerators running on every floor cause the entire house to have a very faint low-frequency rumble, that you would only notice buy plugging in a mic, slapping on headphones and crankin the gain considerably. Because I record acoustic guitar, you can hear this rumble unless I used a shockmount.

With the shockmount it is still there a bit, but it isn't as pronounced. As for upside-down / right-side-up facing, I usually hang my Large diaphragm condenser upside down simply because it is valve-based, and as someone mentioned, I don't feel comfortable using it for long periods of time in the upright position due to capsule heating. Not sure if that's really something to worry about, but I'm not taking my chances :)

i think i might be getting the ADK 51-A V. taking my shot, not really well known but someone did a test and i think i like the sound. I was considering the SP B1, but everyone has that one, let's test something else.

Back