Right people to mix the right sources!

rob aylestone

One of the things that I've always been aware of is that if you work in sound, you've got to understand what you record or mix, and if you don't - keep away unless you want to invest serious time and energy.

I went to a live event, just as a punter - a huge array of different music styles, ranging from what appeared to be some kind of spoken poetry, with the most bizarre and unmusical noises from a guy with a strat who would never have noticed if the audience had got up and left - many did. Apart from the usual dance and EDM stuff I'm not competent to comment on, there was opera and a real orchestra. The stage was on a beach, so a modest sized orchestra playing the quiet stuff from Holst's the Planets, really needed some assistance from a pretty decent, and full range line array with subs. Three sound guys, just watching. I know the piece pretty well and at certain points knew the woodwinds would lose the fight with the wind, and the single double bass was going to struggle. Indoors, the balance of an orchestra works, but outdoors, it really doesn't work properly. The band that followed had mega bass, because, I think, the guys mixing understood the music. Typical festival so most mics preset, and clearly it wouldn't have taken much to sort out the weak ones. Yet the choice was taken to just let the wind spoil 45 mins of the day. No doubt, they'd been told orchestras are self-balanced, so they didn't even listen. Such a shame. A super PA that with just a little thought could have really helped. I suspect the orchestra hadn't played on a beach before - so they might have told the crew they needed no help - who knows? Such a shame.

What are you talking about Willis? Choices are made on the mix unrelated to the things you've cited - such as the Woodwinds Microphones would pick up too much wind if turned up - and you can only make a DoubleBass - which is acoustic - be so loud before it's wrecked - where as the band that followed I guarantee most of the bass sounds were direct - which makes a huge difference.

There's no wind on stage, but in front, there was - so the musicians played away unaware some people missed big important bits. It's a bit like doing gimme some lovin' and not knowing there's a brass section doing the da......... do-di-do-dah over the top.

I've done sound for several of my old band's outdoor gigs. None at the beach with strong winds, but things were pretty open-air - large athletic fields or open street markets. I did them by ear from center stage at the backline. I just set everything on my board where I knew we balanced and guessed at the volume. Audiences appeared to like it well enough, lots of applause and no noticeable walk-outs.

Last edited:
Back