Right interface to purchase

YellowDwarf

Dismember
This is a long story so please bear with me. I'm a home enthusiast, by no means a pro and have been doing this for 10 years.

I used to use an audiophile 2496 into a Mackie 1202 into Sonar X1 with minimal (I forget the exact number) latency. I could record only one track at a time, but that fit my setup and abilities. That is to say, I could record and monitor a new guitar track with 10-30 plugins going on in the song with no latency problem. Same goes for MIDI.

Then I put together a new DAW with an ASUS Z97 board, i5-4690 3.5 GHz, 16 gigs, separate drives for the OS (now Win 10) and found I couldn't use the darned 2496 anymore because there are no PCI slots ... So I cheaply bought a second hand Tascam US 122 mkII and haven't been happy since. Yes, I have the latest drivers and have updated the firmware.

I can't record MIDI or a mic'd guitar and monitor at the same time anymore without an annoying latency that really makes it hard for me to keep musical time. On top of this, I cannot adjust the number of buffers or the buffer size. Sonar isn't happy unless I leave it at "normal" audio performance settings - when I set it to fastest Sonar goes haywire, so I can't seem to fix it that way.

latency.JPGtascam.JPG

So, this is a long way of asking the following (yeah, it's a "what's the best" question):

If I have to stick with an interface, I'd like to spend some money and get something decent that doesn't have this monitoring latency. I may record 2-4 tracks simultaneously, so it would need up to 4 inputs and of course MIDI capabilities. But my prime desire is to not have to deal with this frigging latency, I want to hear the effects as I play (like I used to be able to do with the 2496). Ideas from guys in a similar boat would be greatly appreciated, especially something known to work well with Sonar X3.

If you guys think there's a cost effective way to do this without an interface, I'd be glad to hear it.

I have $6-800 Canadian saved up. Hopefully I've made myself clear and I appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Dwarf

Hi Dwarf,
I have used the 2496 cards (well, musical son. I solder and earned) for nigh on 10 years. Bloody great aren't they? Just bloody work!

But take heart, there IS a USB AI solution and way under that budget. Native Instrument Komplete Audio 6. This will actually go LOWER than the 2496 at 32 samples in a not hyper fast computer, Asus MOBO AMD 6300 3G 6core. But 128 samples is easily good enough I find.

The KA6 has 2 mic/line/instr inputs and two further balanced line ins (4 bal' outs) so you could use the mixer to get 4 discrete analogue channels. S/PDIF and MIDI of course!

The next step up if low latency is your primary goal is an RME interface who, it is said, had a hand in the (excellent!) drivers for the KA6. The AI comes with a copy of Cubase A1 and son found Cubase (E6) to give the fastest latency with the 2496.

I also suggest you run DPclat latency checker to make sure nothing is "spiking" in that rig.

Dave.

That sounds absolutely sweet, Dave. Thanks. And it's only $296 at a store near me!

I'll keep you guys informed.

Dwarf

So I got the Komplete Audio box a couple of weekends ago. It set up sweetly and ran nicely with no latency. But then I realized that the 2nd audio channel was broken - seems like a common complaint out there. Took it back and am waiting for a new one ...

Got the new one and voila, it works as advertised. Also bought the new Akai Advance 49 and am still learning it.

Back