Ribbons as overheads

The549

a hack
I'm going to do a band session this summer, and am thinking I'll pick up and mod an Apex 205. I was wondering about this mic and moreso ribbon mics as drum overheads in general - I am looking for a less harsh and white-noise-y sound, but one thing I'm worried about is whether or not I'll get enough stick definition. Can I get a good ride 'click' from a ribbon from above and behind the kit? Above? in front about 6'? I want to make sure I have presence and power, but I'm looking to have it less harsh. I've found SDC's to be nicer for this, never touched a ribbon mic.

It will be in a large living room, carpeted and lots of blankets, couches, stuff hanging on the ceiling, etc. I'll be using either an Alesis io|26 or more likely and ART DMPA pre at 48kHz, hopefully tracking drums, guitar, banjo, and washtub bass all in one room with separators.
Thanks for any input!

Oh, and my favorite drum sounds are usually found in bebop and jazz records with powerful sounding drums.

You'll get a plenty of stick definition - ribbon mics have excellent transient response. If you get a 205 or other figure 8 pattern ribbon you might want to try it out front, instead of OH - unless the ceiling is well-treated with absorptive material. In a normal 8'-9' ceiling room the back side of the ribbon hears too much reflected sound from the ceiling and this cancels some of the direct sound and makes a comb-filtered mess.

But if you've got a cathedral ceiling environment than ribbon OHs are way cool.

Last edited:
You'll get a plenty of stick definition - ribbon mics have excellent transient response. If you get a 205 or other figure 8 pattern ribbon you might want to try it out front, instead of OH - unless the ceiling is well-treated with absorptive material. In a normal 8'-9' room the back side of the ribbon hears too much reflective sound from the ceiling and this cancels some of the direct sound and makes a combe-filtered mess.

But if you've got a cathedral ceiling environment than ribbon OHs are way cool.

Joly himself! Thanks for that. This room is probably a 18'X13' ish but normal ceiling height.

Or you could use a cardioid patterned ribbon like the Beyer M160 (best) or M260 (the older model, not the current or M260.80 model which has built in roll-off). Excellent for overheads.

Or you could use a cardioid patterned ribbon like the Beyer M160 (best) or M260 (the older model, not the current or M260.80 model which has built in roll-off). Excellent for overheads.

You know, I've got both a vintage m160 and m260, I really prefer the m260 as an overhead. The m160 is a great mic and goes on any reasonably powered guitar amp with great results, but I prefer the 260 on overheads. Very smooth and open.

You know, I've got both a vintage m160 and m260, I really prefer the m260 as an overhead. The m160 is a great mic and goes on any reasonably powered guitar amp with great results, but I prefer the 260 on overheads. Very smooth and open.

Which model of the M260 do you use?

I do like the older one with the straight barrel much better than the more recent one with the tapered barrel (at least of the two I have, as I have one of each). Both are better, IMHO, than the tapered barrel M260.80 or the current M260 (same mic - just different numbering scheme) which has a built in roll-off that you can't switch out. I do prefer the M160 for OHs, but that is probably just a personal preference.

I have a pair of Beyer M160's, and I used to have the M130's as well.

Outstanding for overheads.

Which model of the M260 do you use?

I do like the older one with the straight barrel much better than the more recent one with the tapered barrel (at least of the two I have, as I have one of each). Both are better, IMHO, than the tapered barrel M260.80 or the current M260 (same mic - just different numbering scheme) which has a built in roll-off that you can't switch out. I do prefer the M160 for OHs, but that is probably just a personal preference.

I might be cheating a bit, it's actually a Steffens M260, which Beyer made for churches in the 60s and 70s. It's the straight barrel type with a blue-ish grey color and that goofy screw on connector. I had a tapered one too, I know what you mean.

I use my Fatheads as drum OH's all the time...but then I record drums in a room with 35' ceilings. I love them because the I get a real difference in sound between the OH's and the room mics (LDC's in figure-of-eight), which gives me more options come mixdown time.

Frank

Back