Votes: 41 52.6%
  • Sort of

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Useless

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Never tried one

Votes: 32 41.0%

• Total voters
I love my ribbon mics (most might consider it to be unhealthy) and I'm particular on what ribbon mics I'll purchase or at least the care involved.

I have an RCA 44BX which is on every record I've done since I bought it three years ago. Used sometimes for vocals (depends on the vocalist), guitar as a secondary mic, and/or bass.

An RCA BK5b is amazing on guitars and sometimes a distant room mic.

A pair of RCA 74b juniors. Mine were bought through Mercenary Audio with fresh ribbons and they're great for guitars. Similar to the 44BX but less low end.

Phantom Power can ruin some ribbon mics. Most ribbon mics, even vintage ribbons, compensate a bypass cap filter just in case Phantom Power is on. Otherwise Phantom Power can light up the ribbon like a wick therefor you'll need it re-ribboned by a pro, for example, Stephan Sank or Wes Dooley.

Sound pressure and improper storage of a ribbon mic can stretch out the ribbon element over time (or if the pressure is heavy enough it could almost be instant). I use two pop filters on my ribbons when they're in front of a blazingly loud amp or any other source for that matter.

Ribbon mics are supposed to be stored upright like on a stand and not on its side. Having a ribbon mic stored upright will allow even weight/gravity distribution across the ribbon element. If it's stored on its back or side the ribbon element is being "bowed" thus leading to stretching thus leading to a dull sound.

All ribbon mics I've ever used, even the newest Royer's or AEA's you do need a mic pre with plenty of juice and a low noise floor.

Coles 4038's are great ribbon mics but they're the type of mics you'd want to get as a matched pair. Beyer makes some great ribbons as well.

Anyone that buys a ribbon mic, especially if it's used, should expect to have it re-ribboned as part of your cost-figure. Example if you buy ribbon mic "X" for "X" amount of money make sure you have at least $100 to $250 put aside for a re-ribbon job. A ribbon mic with a new ribbon will last you a good 1 to 3 years dependent on use and user care. I baby my ribbons and protect them like children or a car that needs a yearly tune-up. Is it worth it? Yes, without a doubt.

I have a theory about engineers regarding mics:
Step one: Dynamics
Step two: Condensers
Step three: Tube
Step four: Ribbons

If engineers make it to Step Four that means you've hit a point of no return, you're officially geek'd. There are exceptions to my list just like anything else but I'm not that far off at least from all the pro engineer/producers I've known over the last 11 years.

Ribbons, honestly, are for those that know what know what kind of tones should be there and are workable (ie - EQ, if need be) during a mix. It's a character that I haven't heard EVER thru any type of dynamic, condenser, or tube mic; period.

In response to maestro_dmc's dilemma:
I've heard ribbons that have been destroyed by Phantom Power and it's not that they're only noisy but dull and hard to get any useable signal as well, from any kind of mic pre. Basically I could hear very little source plugged into my Neve pre but it sounded dull, hissy, and like I said quiet.

The Bellari mic pre's aren't that bad but they do hiss when cranked, more-so with their little DI/mic pre units as opposed to the studio racked 220's (I think that's the model number). But none-the-less, TASCAM console mic pre's are pretty hissy as well. If you have a pro shop like Guitar Center nearby I'd walk in with your ribbon mic (check it at the front door so they know you're not stealing it when you leave), talk to one of the pro audio sales-people and tell them you'd like to try a Manley, Neve, API, or what-have-you mic pre with your ribbon mic and see if you're getting the same results. Worse case scenario you'd have to get the ribbon replaced by a professional.

-- Adam Lazlo

Reactions: XLR
Good post, analogelectric.

I've got just one ribbon mic, a Beyer M160 which I use on classical and flamenco gtr. Completely different kind of sound than condensers, who's transient response can sometimes sound clanky in comparison. The M160 has a sweet detailed midrange, very rich lows and low mids. And at times when a condenser is the best choice, a little of the ribbon mic mixed in adds richness.

Tim

analogelectric said:
Coles 4038's are great ribbon mics but they're the type of mics you'd want to get as a matched pair. Beyer makes some great ribbons as well.

Anyone that buys a ribbon mic, especially if it's used, should expect to have it re-ribboned as part of your cost-figure. Example if you buy ribbon mic "X" for "X" amount of money make sure you have at least $100 to $250 put aside for a re-ribbon job. A ribbon mic with a new ribbon will last you a good 1 to 3 years dependent on use and user care. I baby my ribbons and protect them like children or a car that needs a yearly tune-up. Is it worth it? Yes, without a doubt.
-- Adam Lazlo

Adam: Why the Coles in particular as a pair? What makes them want to be paired?

You seem to be implying that all ribbon mics will need reribboning at least every three years. I would take issue with that. I think it's safe to say that some ribbons will last a very long time if treated well.

analogelectric said:
I've heard ribbons that have been destroyed by Phantom Power and it's not that they're only noisy

Adam,

The increased noise is due to sensitivity loss and not because of actual phantom power damage, as your post might suggest.

AGCurry said:
You seem to be implying that all ribbon mics will need reribboning at least every three years. I would take issue with that. I think it's safe to say that some ribbons will last a very long time if treated well.

Ditto.

While we're on the subject of ribbon mics, I recently just bought a RCA 77DX and it sounds fantastic! My problem is that I need a a good, clean preamp to compliment it. My A&H does the job but I would like to have a little more gain. Any suggestions? Price range is around $750.

ive been considering one of these for some time now...

what do you guys think? any experience with this?

http://www.thomann.de/index.html?pa...info.html?sn=f9bd74130532b0b40fb7e50131956bb2

btw, would the Beyer M160 do as good on vocals as the 260? i might just get two M160's if it does...or that piece of crap up there :D...but the beyers...they're both hypercardiroid so it cant be that...what makes them different, if anything?

also, what do you guys think of the beyer 260NC? is it an older version of the mic being sold now? worth it?

Last edited:
ok,

here's some pretty ridiculous questions that i hope someone might pick up...

as these are dynamic mics, i figure they dont need a shockmount right?

also, is a pop filter a must have with this, as is with condensers?

tanx!

One of the advantages of a ribbon mic is that it won't distort easely on high frequencies like a condenser will. Try for example a tamborine close to a a condenser, it will cause a nasty distortion which a ribbon will not.

I've bought a Beyer M260 which is brand new in it's box, but at least some 30 -35 years old, from the family of a collector who passed.

It's my third M260, I love'm

diogo said:
ok,

here's some pretty ridiculous questions that i hope someone might pick up...

as these are dynamic mics, i figure they dont need a shockmount right?

tanx!

Shockmount? Depends, really, on what kind of floor you're on.

I don't use pop filters unless I'm recording a singer with bad plosives.

At the very least, anyone who is trying to record bigger than life electric guitars a ribbon mic is 100% useful. I consider them useful on so many more levels, but cabinet mic'ing is the one area that will change the way you record guitars and improve the sound leaving your studio.

War

diogo said:

Considering how fragile the ribbon element is, I would say yes. I leave a filter up on both sides of mine (when it's out of the case) AND warn people to stay the hell away with their air blasts!

War

fellas tanx for the replies...

i have a chance at a Beyer 260 NC ...i guess an older model...are these any good? is it worth it?

tanx!

diogo said:
fellas tanx for the replies...

i have a chance at a Beyer 260 NC ...i guess an older model...are these any good? is it worth it?

tanx!

Yep, I have three of them, great mics!

its ebay.. :rolleyes:

i figure if it stays cheap till the end, i might as well just roll the dice..

a few euros for a potentially great mic.. ;)

sloop said:
Correct, it has a dome transducer on the bottom and a BIG ribbon. You have a 6 position selector on the back so you can adjust the manner in which they work.

Yep, I have two of these babies... the ribbon is actually bent/pleated; the only time I've ever seen this. It's the most versatile mic I've used given the permutations of elements and pickup patterns.

Another bitchen ribbon that you can pick up for peanuts is the RCA Varacoustic. Apparently the electric-razoresque appearance is not to the liking of most collectors. The only RCA's I like more are the 77 and BK-5.

Buying ribbons on ebay is a big gamble. Anyone interested in getting into ribbons with a lower cost used mic should check out Silvia Classics (silviaclassics.com). I have no affiliation, just a happy customer.

Jay

depends on the mic I'd have to say. I bought a random ribbon mic (beatles style Reslo mic) without knowing anything about it. It has worked for about 10% of the time ive owned it, and when it did work, the bass proximity boost was out of control, making it nearly unusable for vocals. However, im sure a nice RCA, Coles, or Royer ribbon mic would be amazing. avoid Relsos unless you are a collector.

Back