Ribbon Mics question

_DK

I've heard it many times that ribbon mics are easely damaged by high volume, even while singing and even by wind outside.
Now, when miking an instrument, or say a guitar cab, how bad is it for the diaphragm? Or are there different ribbon mics?:confused:

Ribbons are not harmed by loud volumes (most can take 140dBSPL or more), but air movement, whether from breath, wind, or kick drum air blasts. If you take care to avoid those, you should be able to use a ribbon on nearly anything.

Ribbons are not harmed by loud volumes (most can take 140dBSPL or more), but air movement, whether from breath, wind, or kick drum air blasts. If you take care to avoid those, you should be able to use a ribbon on nearly anything.

So, say if it's a tube amp or a punchy bass cab, would a pop filter work well?

Yes, but consider mic placement. If you're doing something that moves massive amounts of air, like really loud palm muting, and you put a ribbon real close, you may end up with a giant puddle of mud from the proximity effect of the ribbon.

Guitar amps usually are no problem, but I'd be careful around a bass amp with a vent ("bass reflex" port). Same thing goes for front kick drum heads with holes in them - it's the big blast of air that stretches and damages the thin metal ribbon, not the high SPL.

I just started messing around with a ribbon mic. They recommend placing 45 degrees off access if your in a situation with alot of air movement. That along with keeping back alot further should protect the mic. I tried that recording a soprano sax and got so much key noise I couldn't believe it. My next attempt will be using it as a room mic with something a little less sensitive as the main mic.

I just started messing around with a ribbon mic. They recommend placing 45 degrees off access if your in a situation with alot of air movement. That along with keeping back alot further should protect the mic. I tried that recording a soprano sax and got so much key noise I couldn't believe it. My next attempt will be using it as a room mic with something a little less sensitive as the main mic.

Which mic is it? What preamp do you use?

It is a Apex 210, I tried it on a focusrite penta, focusrite track master,art dspII and also on a SP vtb1. I use the pres in and old Carvin MX1222 console a lot but have not tried that one yet. I only messed with it a couple times, hopefully I'll get a chance to experiment more this weekend. The DSPII has variable input resistance which I haven't experimented with on the apex yet. The mic seemed to perform quite acceptable with the male voice, didn't like it on acoustic guitar at all. The soprano sax sounded pretty good for just starting out but the key clicking was really annoying. I haven't had time to check it out on a cabinet yet.

Back