Ribbon Mics: Any thoughts?

Zombie King

I've been thinking about getting a ribbon mic for recording harmonica (mainly) and possibly voice and/or acoustic guitar.

I have no experience with ribbon mics but I understand they can lend a "smoothing" quality to the typically harsh sound of (non amplified) harmonica.

I know of Royer and I think Ocktava offers one - but who else makes a decent (affordable) ribbon mic that would be good for this application?

I'd like to do it as cheaply as possible.

Z

I don't think I'd use a ribbon on a harmonica! At least not within 3' of one. That could very well blow it out.
Beyer M-160 or M-260's are very good ribbons mics. Steven Sank can even re-ribbon them with RCA ribbons which is a significant upgrade.

It's the wind blast that can damage them.You can set a Royer in front of an amp that's reasonably loud with no problem but if you pick it up an blow into it, it can be damaged.

My thought is I like 'em for a lot of things. They're a nice flavor not everyone has. If you're interested, Stephen Sank, who does the RCA mod, may be able to help hook you up with a deal on a used Beyer. I was looking for an M260, and a friend of his had recently brought some back from a pillaging expedition in Germany. I also ordered the mod. Stephen's site is:
http://www.thuntek.net/~bk11/home.htm

cheers
-kent

I see no problems using the Royer R121 on harmonica, so long as you're not blowing directly into it. Also, if it *does* get blown into from the *front* by accident, an internal screen prevents the ribbon from being dislodged. Don't let a blast of air hit the rear of the mic, though, or you'll be sending for a replacement ribbon (they're user-replaceable in the 121).

The Royer SF-1 and the other ribbons are more fragile. But you could still record harmonica with them. Just keep off-axis, and put a pop-screen in front of the mic.

Try miking slightly above the harp for starters. Put the cans on and move around until you're jonesin' on the tone. Then hit the lil red button, and have at it! :)

TP

Thanks for the replies (thus far)!

I was hoping I wouldn't have to defend myself against those who assume you can only mic a harmonica one way but then again, its difficult to spot the monoptic cyborgs in the crowd until they wink at you...

Z

Back