ribbon microphone VS condensers

There are some high-end ribbons out there, though most will have some bump in the low end and and roll-off in the high end...but I think you are putting too much focus on just the size of the width of the frequency response. For vocals, it's more about the character of the mic and how it fits the vocalist...so a ribbon with better frequency response may not necessarily by your better choice for a vocal mic.

That said....I picked up a decent ribbon for the purpose of sometimes using it on vocals (Cascade C77)...but at the end of the day, I'm still going to use my tube condenser on most of my vocals tracks over the ribbon. The C77 may get used occasionally when I want that more retro/vintage sound.

It depends what you want to use it on. An Apex 205 is good on alto sax, okay on acoustic bass guitar, but doesn't do anything at all for my voice. However, it might do well with a female singer with a harsh voice.

What don't you like about the frequency response of the at2020? What kind of sound are you looking for?

well like I said I own one of the at2020's but idk i wan't to upgrade and the mxl 990 ribbon looks better over all with the fr charts
The 2020 happens to be flatter and more extended than any of those ribbons. Differently having different tone mics are great I'm just curious what it is you think you're you are going for?

The human voice produces fundamental freqs in the 75-900 Hz range ... so even a fourth harmonic is just 14.4 kHz ... which is near or above the limit of hearing of most humans. Frequency response isn't everything. Vocal technique (include mic technique) will yield better results than spending money on more (inexpensive) gear. Your AT 2020 is a fine inexpensive mic for vocals.

Wait a minute they make a 990 ribbon now?

Had to google it myself to believe! i can't help but think they've "borrowed" the idea from sE's sEX1R; you know, same chassis as a cheap condenser just with a ribbon motor installed.

Tbf i picked up an Apex 205 mainly with the intention of using it on acoustic guitar and cello's but really enjoy it on vocals and use it a lot for backing vocals when the main vocal has been done with a condenser (it just helps them sit behind the main vocal nicely)

I'm personally not a fan of the AT2020 although i have friends who love it, but i just found it doesn't suit my voice and have other mic's i prefer for most sources. As others have said, there's certainly nothing inherently wrong with the AT2020 but if you don't like it then it's always worth trying some other mics to see what suits your needs.

Also, it's worth noting that with any ribbon mic you'd need a preamp with a lot of clean gain

Probably not. Many (most?) cheap ribbon mics from Asia are flawed from the factory ... loose ribbons, sometimes flappin' in the wind. Ribbon mics are, almost by definition, high end gear. Remember, too, that ribbon mics are BIDIRECTIONAL, ie, they pick up as much from the backside as they do from the front. Great for times a figure 8 pattern is what you want, but can be hell when you don't.

well Im just wanting to upgrade my at2020 so I thought the mxl990 ribbon would be better over all would it ?
Unless there's some sound files around- or freq plot that would help.
Maybe you could find a vendor that allows returns?
One might assume some general difference might apply- a ribbon being fig-8 will have more proximity effect
( = more lows anywhere near 'close to it than than the cardioid), and look at the plots for any number of ribbons, often find additional bumps' in the warm' range (on top of your proximity effect bump'), and slightly rolled off top ends.

Now, it that better' overall? Well for example in front of a guitar cab, maybe 'flat and fast and articulate' out to 20kHz isn't wanted. I.e. the ribbon can make for a really nice tone option that fits' better in that case.
How about a vocal? Let's pick a reasonable distance of 8". You might expect - lots of 100-200Hz tone (that may or nay not want/need to eq out), and a softer top.
At a foot or two away that could change to a beautifully rich voc tone. But then the back side pick up will be bringing your room tones into the picture as well.

Back