Ribbon Microphone Shinybox 46MXC

clocksandclouds

I just aquired the shinybox 46MXC and really like the sound I'm getting out of it. The only problem is I have to crank my pre in order to get enough gain that I'm looking for. This gives me some noise that I'm assuming is from the pre. It's like a high hiss that I can't get rid of. I'm wondering what pre can give me enough gain without getting excess noise. Right now I have a Trident S20 and a UA6176. I get more luck with the UA then the trident but still noise I'm not wanting in my mix.

I'm still kind of a dummy when it comes to understand the engineering side of things, although I'm trying to learn.

Here's the specs of the shinybox.

Ribbon Microphone Type and Dimensions: Low tension, 2 inch aluminum ribbon
Pattern: Figure of 8
Recommended Load Impedence: > 1000 ohms
Frequency Response: 30 to 18,000 Hz

I don't know about that one, but most ribbons need about 60db of gain. I've used RNP, GAP pre73, a Neve clone, and an API 512 clone and all have enough gain to not hiss. I'd think any pre that can give 60db clean should be good for it.

Thanks for the thoughts. I will be getting the shinybox 4 channel pre soon as well. All these are done by trade so kind of free gear. I assume this pre can handle the mics they make.

Back