Ribbon mic screen damage

fuquam

Just picked up an RSM-2 Nady ribbon mic on a scratch and dent sale. I've never owned a ribbon mic and I read good reviews on this one. The mic arrived with a big dent in the screen. Does this even matter? Will it effect the sound at all and should I take the thing apart and try to fix the dent?
Thanks.

Just picked up an RSM-2 Nady ribbon mic on a scratch and dent sale. I've never owned a ribbon mic and I read good reviews on this one. The mic arrived with a big dent in the screen. Does this even matter? Will it effect the sound at all and should I take the thing apart and try to fix the dent?
Thanks.

Won't affect the sound significantly, no. That said, if you want to fix it, it isn't hard to get the thing apart. There are a few screws in a band around the middle of the mic that hold the bottom on. Once you're inside, you should be able to reach the dent with a dowel rod without even removing the top grille. Use the dowel rod to press out the dent (or use a hammer to gently hit the end of the dowel and tap the dent out if the position of the dent makes that possible).

What you need to be aware of is if the screen has a dent, has the ribbon been damaged. To take a knock that dents the screen on a ribbon means the ribbon may have torn. They're VERY fragile.

Yeak thats what I 'm worried about. I'll take it apart and see. The dent is big but not deep so it shouldn't have hit the ribbon.
Thanks for the replies.

- Scott

What you need to be aware of is if the screen has a dent, has the ribbon been damaged. To take a knock that dents the screen on a ribbon means the ribbon may have torn. They're VERY fragile.

I don't think they're that fragile.... It's pretty easy to dent the grille on the RSM-2 because of the way it is designed. It's not a small ball grille, nor is it pre-dented in a way that makes it hard to dent. The size of the grille is huge, so just a small bump can dent it. While that might stretch the ribbon, tearing it takes a little more effort... like wind....

Yeak thats what I 'm worried about. I'll take it apart and see. The dent is big but not deep so it shouldn't have hit the ribbon.

There's definitely no way a dent could reach the ribbon. You'd have ti dent it in by about two inches.... :)

I don't think they're that fragile.... It's pretty easy to dent the grille on the RSM-2 because of the way it is designed. It's not a small ball grille, nor is it pre-dented in a way that makes it hard to dent. The size of the grille is huge, so just a small bump can dent it. While that might stretch the ribbon, tearing it takes a little more effort... like wind....

There's definitely no way a dent could reach the ribbon. You'd have ti dent it in by about two inches.... :)

Absolutely right, the dent couldn't reach the ribbon, but the shock may have. That's all I'm saying, it's probably fine but definitely worth checking.

Absolutely right, the dent couldn't reach the ribbon, but the shock may have. That's all I'm saying, it's probably fine but definitely worth checking.

True enough. It is probably a lot more likely to have stretched the ribbon than torn it, though. And of course, being a Chinese ribbon, probably 80% of them have stretched ribbons to begin with, so.... :D

Back