Ribbon Mic Impedance

McMajik

So ribbon mics have a very low output impedance, but it's advised that the preamps input impedance shouldn't be matched to that, but about 10-15x higher at least.

But I can't find ANY actual useful resources on this beyond "Do it like this because this is how its meant to be done"

So, why should the impedance be so much higher? What actual effects does it have on the sound of the mic?

Unless your buying a vintage ribbon most modern ones are quite well matched with most other types of mics today.

Impedance mismatches can sound horrid. but i doubt it will be an issue.
Your more likely to run out of clean headroom on the gain in your preamp. Which will start to add extra noise. Has your mic pre got lots of gain and clean at that?

What type of ribbon are you after and for what purpose?

I was gonna say that I haven't had a problem with my ribbons what so ever. (All newer ribbon microphones).

Like what Kip has stated the impedance issue has been all worked out for us now a days.

How ya doing Rich?

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. :D

I already have the ribbon, a Shinybox 46mxl. Made some damn good sounding recordings with it too, but this made me a bit scared I had been missing something all along. :p

working with a ribbon for me was like starting over. Working out best working practice from scratch.

You can use the proximity effect to your advantage.
make shrill guitars sound more rounded and less trebly.
it all depends what you want to do.
A ribbon defo wont suit all or even most applications but when its good its great.
Have fun

Hi Henry I'm doing good thanks.
And you Sir? How you doing?

Oh yer and i forgot to say. If you want to do a stripped back arrangement of a song with just simple bracketed guitar fills and some chords then try out a mid/side recording.
It will fill the rest of the sound stage up nicely.

Back