Ribbon Mic Advice

bstarstudios

Useless Thoughts
I've been looking to add some ribbon flavor to my recordings, mainly to sweeten up recording guitars (currently run a gls es-57) and maybe use on vocals (using mxl v88), but mainly on guitars.

I have 4 mics currently that i am looking at. But will take advice on good ribbons for guitar cabs/amps under $200usd.

the three are:
-Cascade Fat Head (175)
-Cascade Vin Jet (200
-Apex 210 (120)
-Golden Age R-1 MKII (180)

im leaning towards one of the cascades based on all the good things i hear about them but who knows.

advice please.

B

Fat head seemed like the best choice. watched their video for it and its so warm, will pick up the lovely sonic qualities of my vox nicely.

ordered a fat head off amazon with free shipping. after reading some reviews you were spot on moresound awesome for cabs from what i can tell.

Check my sig for quite a few ribbon on cab clips including several ribbon mic comparison clips.

the latest clip is a Fat Head and Trion 7000 mix.

I got a pair of stock fatheads a month ago and they are great. they work for acoustics, drum overheads, and guitar cabs. If they need EQ they take it really well without sounding fake. Vocals I was not impressed. They do need LOTS of preamp gain, I think the DMP3 should be enough. I was pushing about 60db+ minimum, and 70 or so on the pres that had that much. Plus they look really cool...always my number 1 requirement from equipment.

try sticking one of those in line boosters between the ribbon and the pre beware theysome may be phantom powered i think they're called fet head or some such

Let us know what you think on vocals. I have only tried it on myself and not really liked it. But others have liked it on their voice. And, it has been great for everything else I've recorded with it.

I got a pair of stock fatheads a month ago and they are great. they work for acoustics, drum overheads, and guitar cabs. If they need EQ they take it really well without sounding fake. Vocals I was not impressed. They do need LOTS of preamp gain, I think the DMP3 should be enough. I was pushing about 60db+ minimum, and 70 or so on the pres that had that much. Plus they look really cool...always my number 1 requirement from equipment.

OH YEAH!!!! Looks are everything. :D ..... And I truly mean that. Nothing worst than a shoddy looking piece of gear. ;)

Back