Rhapsody

pure.fusion

Hi all,

I need some feedback on EQ. I'm having some trouble with the lead vocals too but I'll get the group vocals right first.

I've used a high pass filter which basically lets the vocals sit in the mix, but it's the treble end that's the problem. My voice seems to have a lot of "air" or "whispiness" and lacks the rich sound that (obviously) is seen in the original.

Also, the fact that I've now heard this a million times makes me think I'm losing the ability to judge it from [your] point of view. ...oh and of course I think I'm losing the top end of my hearing :rolleyes:

So I'm really after the answer to the question: How does this sound to you in your studio? EQ Pass or fail? Needs more attention?

(and before you ask, yes, it's for my mate's yearly golf trip)

Comments?

... or perhaps just a nod or a shake of the head?

I always thought the MP3 mixing clinic was a good idea to get fresh ears on material. I haven't used it much. Is there a special handshake or something I have to learn to do to get feedback?

FM

Tonally it sounds pretty authentic purefusion. I'd maybe low-pass some of the high frequencies above 10khz to remove the air you mention and add a de-esser to get rid of a bit of sibilance.

You're not planning on tackling the whole song are you?

Thanks for your reply.

Low pass above 10k, meaning 10k not touched and 20K having 0db and have a curve in between?

Yeah, the entire parody is all tracked, but I'm having a long and not-happy time organizing track automation and making it sound "ok". At the moment it's beating me.

Cheers,
FM

Yup, I'm just beaten by vocal eq.

There's something about the treble that I failed in, either my voice, or the mic, or how the mic was positioned, or a combo of the three.

Anyway, i'm out of time now. Any comments on how the vocal EQ ended up are appreciated.

[/QUOTE]

Cheers,
FM

Is there a special handshake or something I have to learn to do to get feedback?

It helps to give feedback to others. All it takes is some "give and take". There's a reason "give" comes first in that expression. Give feedback and you will get lots of feedback.

Back