Rework Fender Champ 12

Thurgood

Hello all and best!

I have a Fender Champ 12 that gathers dust...not surprising given its shortcomings- 0-100 OD channel, funny cardboard reverb, bad jacks, limited tone control etc.. the list goes on. On the positive side it has a "pre-punched chassis", power and output transformer, cabinet for 12' speaker, knobs, faceplate and a name (given by owner) that is not mentioned in polite company. Further, the small size is good for grab and go. (even if the cab is too small to really sound good, I can use it as a head of sorts). I intend to gut the amp and start anew or maybe not all anew but using what I have to make something new. (hopefully good) This amp has too much stuff going on inside, what were the fender folks thinking? What was I thinking when I got it? (free amp with purchase of strat!!:).

Sound goal: cleaner, less mid 5e3 deluxe maybe Princetonish thing with versatile tone controls... Ideas? I would like to use the existing trannies. Thanks for your ideas. Oh one more thing speaker cab not a real concern will stick with 8 ohm as spec'd. I have a few cabs. Thank you. I hope I have given enough info and I am handy with solder iron and use safe HV practices. WS

Back