Rewiring Opinions

juststartingout

I have an old no name Les Paul copy. The guitar plays very well, but the electronics are shot and need replaced. About the only good thing on it are the pickups.

I am going to replace the pots, switch and jack. I have found pleanty of different wiring options on the net. I am planning on using push/pull pots to expand my options without mounting extra switches on the guitar. As I read things, I have 4 options; Series, parallel, single coil and out of phase.

I do understand the differences from an electronics point of view. Without mounting some extra switches on the guitar, I can't get all 4 options. So I am left with a choice of what to pick.

I know what I am going to do with the tone pots and caps. What I dont know, is what effect the diffent schemes have from a tonal and/or gain aspect. Can anyone enlighten me? Does anyone know of any sites that will let me know what it will do to the tones?

I have a Tele and I know there is a way of wiring it that a lot of people supposedly do, I thinks its the series one. It puts the rythem pick up THROUGH the lead. I am sure this works fine for all instruments but I heard about it from a Tele freak. (Personally I have a feeling that its more of a mod if you have more than one model of that guitar, but it does sound cool.)

juststartingout said:
As I read things, I have 4 options; Series, parallel, single coil and out of phase.

I do understand the differences from an electronics point of view. Without mounting some extra switches on the guitar, I can't get all 4 options.

Why not? If you have a les paul copy, you should have 4 pots.

Ok, I finished the rewiring and this is what I ended up with:

Bridge Pickup can go Humbaker, out of phase or single coil
Neck Pickup can go Humbaker, out of phase or single coil
Pickup switch can go Stereo, stereo reverse, mono both, mono bridge, mono neck

I am currently coming out with a stereo cable and splitting it into 2 mono jack and running it into 2 amps (Twin reverb and blues deville). I am still playing with the amp setups, but it really sounds cool and offers a lot of flexibility.

I used:
4 push pull pots
1 six pos switch, 4 wafer (replaced the pickup switch)
1 stereo jack (replaced the mono jack)

You are correct, it is not hard, even for a novice.

Originally, I picked up the 6 pos rotary switch to put a vaitone circuit in. But I wired it insead for a stereo jack and the ability to route each pickup to a different amp. I think that gave me a little more flexibility.

By the way, JSO refers to just starting on this board. I have been playing for about 25 years or so.

Back