Rewire Pro Tools and Reason

deejaytrixx

Is there anyone experienced in this? My real question is, when you insert your instrument track into protools from Reason, do you do it as a Stereo or Mono track?

I'm not sure exactly what your attempting. Are you trying to record midi IN Pro Tools using Reason as a sound source? Or are you trying to sequence in Reason and monitor in Pro Tools?

Either way I'm not sure I've ever agreed with the Voo Doo of Digi's Instrument Tracks. I'd probably monitor Reason thru Rewire on an Aux track. Really what aux tracks do best.

I can't think of a single reason to monitor either in mono. The answer is stereo.

It depends what you are recording, you probably wouldn't do a bass in sterero, but you might do strings...what patch are you using in reason?

I dunno. Most bass patches in Reason are stereo. You might convince me to pan those bass tracks more towards the center (as I think your reference is to center mono bass tracks) but calling up separate mono and stereo aux monitoring tracks seems cumbersome.

Many stereo bass samples (Spectrasonics Trilogy to name a few) sound great in stereo and it allows the user (with out added cpu tax) to choose mono OR stereo. Once you choose mono for your monitoring your stuck.

If your stereo bass track is panned to the center isn't that going to sound the the same as a mono track panned to the center? Unless your bass patch actually moves l to r in someway...but then why would you want a bass that isn't panned center?

not being a smartass, really asking [tone is so hard to imply on the net]

If your stereo bass track is panned to the center isn't that going to sound the the same as a mono track panned to the center? Unless your bass patch actually moves l to r in someway...but then why would you want a bass that isn't panned center?

To answer your question.....yes it'll be similar. What is and what is not stereo would make for some interesting discussion here but that, perhaps, for another day. Certainly more merit in discussing panning in mixing than Digidesign Black Helicopters.

In this case however my answer was directed specifically in response to "monitoring" Reason in Pro Tools.

IMHO a stereo Aux track called up in Pro Tools to handle audio streaming from Reason is the most practical solution.

That is to say if you called up stereo strings in Reason the Pro Tools Aux track could handle it. If then you decided to call up a bass track in Reason it could still be monitored from the Pro Tools stereo aux track just panned mono in Reason.

You could keep the Reason bass track stereo if you chose OR you could pan the Reason bass track more towards mono in Reason. At that point you have your choice (mono or stereo) and you wouldn't have the problem of managing multiple aux tracks in Pro Tools and multiple routings in Reason.

not being a smartass, really asking [tone is so hard to imply on the net]

think of a synthisized bass. some of them have really wide stereo choruses on them. and anyways, i'm pretty convinced if it is supposed to be a mono sound, the rack unit will output an identical signal to L+R, so in effect it will just be mono.

As a habit, I typically setup all my instument tracks as stereo, because most of the instruments I use in Reason are stereo. Ultimately it depends on the intrument in Reason. Reason defaults to left and right outs on each intrument, but it is not required and if you are running low on track space, think about using mono for som instruments like bass, solo strings, etc.

When I setup the PT session, typically I have already been working in Reason and am nearly done, I use PT to record live instr. and vocals and mixing. I will set up a number of stereo instrument tracks to match what I need for Reason plus 2 more stereo just in case I want to add something on the fly.

I don't know if this is the best way or not, but I remove the mixer from my Reason project, and then I plug each instr. into the hardware out seperately. Then I add Reason as an insert on the first instr. track and select the correct channel from the window that pops up, and then I just copy the insert to each track, changing the channel on each one.

Back